1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone relate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jeffhack, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I'm talking to my mother this morning who doesn't know my sexual preferences yet. And she's talking about a little boy who died early last night, so I was empathic and then she said well sometimes I wished that happend to your sister so I wouldnt have to go threw all that gay stuff. And I was speechless I had a million mean things to say. So I didn't say anything.. Eventually she left saying remember I love you more because your not the gay one. Giggled like it was funny and left.

I just broke down crying and now here I am

2. BudderMC

I can't relate, but I'm sorry you had to hear that.

I don't know if it'd be worth it or not (only you can gauge that), but maybe you could consider challenging (not arguing) her opinions on gay people. You can do it as a "straight" guy, and it's perfectly justified since your sister is gay. Like in that scenario, maybe you could simply ask her "why?". Getting her to really look at her thoughts might help her either realize where they're wrong, or at least give you a sense of why she's homophobic.

3. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In my bio I left something out before the break down, before I became the person I love now.... Um I was a homophob that bullied gays... It's hard admitting that to you guys, but I'm sorry....

4. BudderMC

^ it's a lot more common than you'd think for closeted people (even those who don't know it yet) to actually be homophobic. It's okay to be sorry that it happened, but don't get hung up over it. Learn from your past, and move on.

But maybe even that opens up a channel for discussing with your mom too. "Well, I used to hate gay people too, but I don't see why it's a big deal anymore...", though I suppose if you're ever to have this conversation, you'd need to be very prepared for the possibility she calls your sexuality into play.

5. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thax and by the way I love you orientation lol I've caught it too

6. Dolphinkid

Actually, I used to be homophobic too......
    Though I've never bullied anyone for it cuz I'm an amazingly nice guy, unless your a retard(not litterally, I mean a stupid/annoying person), but that's besides the point. Then again I'm not a jock.
    And my mom took my orientation pretty bad too, not as bad because she's not homophobic but......I think we could relate pretty well.

7. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thax guys?

8. Dolphinkid

Ummmm. Why the question mark?

9. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    my bad lol i was on my ipad at the time at the ? is right to !

10. sanguine

no offence but your mum doesnt seem like a nice person, she seems like a horrible person, who the hell wishes on someones death like that, and her own child at that!!

the best you can do is never grow up to hate like she does, or even shame her for what she's doing.

11. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    well to be fair my sister told her her first girlfriend my mother died, but u can kinda see why right... im actually moving out by the way

12. Dolphinkid

Uh actually, the cow over there is right, she sounds like someone out of a book or movie, the bad guy that is...

13. Lewis

I'm speechless.

14. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry if this upsets people...

15. Jared

I can kind of relate, my dad doesn't say things like about me, I'm not out to him, but he says that all gays should rounded up and shot and faggot is one his favorite words. I know it hurts to hear these things said by a parent, but eventually you won't have to be around her anymore. You could try approaching her as a straight guy who supports gays and try to convince her that there is nothing wrong with being gay.

Personally with my dad when starts going off on one his homophobic rants, I just get up and leave since it will make me really upset if I stay and I will say something I'll regret. He's a very angry person and a horrible human being and once I'm independent from him I don't plan on having a relationship with him. I would say that you should decide how to approach this based on whether or not you want to try to have a relationship with your mother, and from what you said she doesn't sound like the healthiest person to have a relationship with.

16. Night Rain

I really love this idea! It's perfect! You should try it.

I secretly wish my parents were either supportive of the LGBT or this homophobic, as it's really hard to tell what they're thinking. And if they're homophobic, I won't hesitate to argue with them. I won't hold back. Maybe I'm just aggressive but I won't let my parents talk down to me (or anyone gay), especially when they're blatantly wrong. I'm willing to risk my relationship to help them change their opinion. It's just me, but keeping silent and taking insults will drive me crazy.

17. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't want to talk all day lol so I have a habit of not putting all the details I'm moving out before school starts, and I don't plan on talking to her again, however another side of me just wants to tell her I'm out. And leave just to get it off my chest

18. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Um so today my mom found something in my room that would point to my new choices, and knew my them. She yelled a lot!!! And long story short a priest is coming to my house to try to get me to be straight... Um no

19. karl178

Hi Jeff, this is all moving at an incredible pace, maybe for the best to get it out in the open. Let us know how you get on and would be great to continue to offer you support. I think you are very brave with how you are dealing with this. Am sure it is not easy emotionally, stay positive and keep us in the loop.

20. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Um I really need all the support because she's making me talk to a priest