1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checking guys out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Neutrality, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Neutrality

I know I like guys, but I prefer an emotional connection over a physical one...but how do I actually know if I am checking a guy out or just forcing myself to do it. I hear people say that you don't think about it here, but when I look at a guy I see him and then actively decide that I want to stare at his body for a bit instead of just doing it. Then I'll analyze him a bit, think about what I like and don't like, wonder what kind of person he is, ect.

2. Chrissouth53

I'm bi so my opinion may be different, but when I walk around I am always checking out women but don't check out guys. For example, I may be running around a local pond and when a woman runs by, I'm thinking "nice butt" or "cute face". When a guy runs by, I'm thinking "Wonder if those Nikes would make me run faster".

3. TheAMan

When you see a guy walk by and the first thing you think about is his looks, like it's automatic, then you're checking him out. If you have to stop and stare to find something to like about him, then you're forcing yourself.

4. Gen

Gen

I guess that is how it works. But I know how you feel, I rarely think about the looks of the people I'm with unless there is a reason or they are pointed out to me. I've tried looking at thier body, but I always laugh at myself because I feel like a creeper. If they were blatantly exposed sure, but it wouldnt even cross my mind in a casual setting.

5. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I think it would come naturally to you, otherwise, you would be forcing it. I know that when I see a girl, I don't think about me looking at a girl, I just do it, and it's natural. If you have to kind of, analyze and think about wanting to stare or look, then, it does sound a little more forced. It doesn't really mean anything though, I mean, you said you prefer emotional to physical, so that's probably why you have to think about looking or staring, because you know that you don't have that immediate physical connection, which is why you want to analyze so you could find an emotional aspect of it.

6. Neutrality

I'm glad atleast one other person is this way, It makes me question myself sometimes =(...now I know if a guy is shirtless though my eyes snap right to him without a thought...

7. Delta

I think it'll become more natural as you become more confident and sure of yourself. Right now it's an examination of yourself and whether you like men or not, rather than simply enjoying the look of him. I used to do the same thing with girls. Do I like that, do I not, am I gay if I don't like that, so on and so on. Once you figure out exactly what you like, which could be anything, it'll become second nature to seek it out, and that's where checking people out comes from. Don't worry about having to force it or not now. The natural bit comes at a later stage.

8. Dolphinkid

Uh aman is right.... well I'm bi also, but when I see a guy I automatically check out his looks, and sometimes continue to check him out. When I see a girl, usuallyl I think, hmm cute, looks like a nice person, or in other cases, "nice bod, eww face" lol :3.

9. Neutrality

I think what happens is that I look at the guy, realize I'm looking at him and then I try to analzye why...I Know I like men...I'm just starting to learn what I like in men and it's weird cause I seem to find a guy who is like a little chubby and balding more attractive then muscled guys at the gym or models or whatever...so I think I try to force myself to look at those guys cause that's what I am "Supposed" to like as a gay guy.

I guess I just don't understand what people mean by it being automatic...like my eyes snap to a guy and I will stare and smile without thinking a thing...then I have to think about what it is that is making me smile and stare at him after I realize I am doing it...is that normal or am I supposed to look and just go "Nice ass" or whatever...Like I said I think part of this is I'm not a hugely visual person...I prefer to be emotionally connected to someone.

Some of these responses make it sound like people think I'm not gay because of this...that freaks me out alot too cause I know I fantazise about men and love touching them/being touched by them.

#9 Neutrality, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  10. Jeffhack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your supposed to be attracted to who ur attracted there's no shame in likening bigger guys I'm an athletic bigger guy I weigh (and believe I'm telling guys this lol) 245 at 6.4 in height I'm a big guy lol

11. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think checking people out is a slightly different process for everyone, as far as looking, thinking, drooling, etc.

When I first began checking attractive guys out, it felt very forced and unnatural. As time progressed, it became more natural. When I check out different types of guys I think different things, including what type of person they are emotionally. Now that I actually think about my "checking out" process, I essentially have a torrid love affair with my subject in my imagination. We meet, flirt, make discoveries about one another, and sometimes consummate the relationship. Other times I picture them doing everyday things like laundry or washing dishes. It's all based on what sort of situation I am in when I encounter them.

Based on this logic, I would wager a guess that everyone checks people out in ways unique into themselves. I also think it may get easier to deal with in time, as you experience it more frequently - as most things do.

12. LisforLisa

When I check out a girl it comes naturally and I just do it. When I look at a guy I have to think of a reason and it's much more unnatural.

13. Cloudbreaker

I used to kind of wonder if me checking out guys was the same as when I used to force myself to try and check out girls. 'Cause if I was actually forcing myself to try to check out guys, then that could be a sign of some problems.

So then one day I got the idea to google image search "hot guy" just to see if I actually found the guys to be hot (with the proper search filters on, nothing too graphic should pop up). Well, I was almost knocked to the floor by all the handsomeness. There were no longer any thoughts that it was all just in my head. Then, for thoroughness's sake, I also searched "hot girl" for comparison. The women were certainly beautiful, but they did not have anywhere near the same effect.

So yeah, while I might not make a habit of oogaling guys that walk by, noticing a guy with a hot body is not something that my brain is tricking me into doing.

#13 Cloudbreaker, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  14. Neutrality

Tried that just for fun...there were some really hot guys...I saw one of two guys kissing and got umm..well excited...=P...but, I already knew liking men wasn't the problem anyways since I can kiss a guy and it feels normal/natural and I get excited...it's just the checking them out that I'm weird with...huh makes me feel kinda strange to hear how easy that is for most other people...maybe it really is just something that will come easier as time goes and I'm more comfortable with myself.

15. Lewis

When a hot guy walks by, my eyes just automatically clock him. I don't have to think about it whatsoever. Before I came to terms with my sexuality I probably did think about it a lot though and tried to stop myself looking, now I can't stop myself! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I always tend to try make eye contact and I'm surprised at how many guys actually maintain eye contact, even ones you'd think were straight. It's the best way to find out a persons sexuality.

16. Delta

I also have a case of not being attracted to what I'm "supposed" to. I can look at a girl with long hair and a Victoria's Secret model body and think "yeah, that's okay. She's pretty." But really what I like is butch girls who are a little chubby and don't look like the "sexy" models at all. Up until just a year ago, I'd try to check out the women that were the epitome of femme, since I guessed they were what I was expected to like by society, so I might as well try. I realized in time that that's just not my style. I'm not into that type of woman, and that's fine too. It's not like butch girls are any less female than femme ones. And I think if you look for the kind of guy you do like, instead of the kind you "should" like, you'll be much happier.

As for needing that emotional connection, that's good. That means you won't do stupid stuff just for sex, and you're making sure others can't get in your pants without you believing they love you. That's good. Also, in 4/5 relationships, love comes before sex. Don't beat yourself up over not making guys sex objects.

And I know you're gay. You just need to tell the naysayers to shush. You know you're gay too.

17. Neutrality

Thanks so much, you're responses have been really helpful...all the post on here about how I should look at guys and want to have sex with them had me questioning so much the last couple of days >.>...then I had to remind myself if I get umm..excited with a guy's tounge in my mouth then I'm gay. =P