1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Dates - Got feeling they might be awkaward

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gazza123, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So

If, somehow it happens and some guy actually comes along and asks me out on date. I've got this nagging feeling that being on the date will be awkward like the whole situation of being on dates being awkward.

Now I know dates nowadays don't generally stick to dinner out and I'm just thinking about I'd be more worrying about other things than that actually guy such as people are staring, what will people think, someone more shout out insults, etc etc

Plus just on a side note

I was walking through the town centre the other day when I saw two lesbians kiss. Now personally it doesn't bother me but a few steps in front of me were a straight couple who starting whispering to each other after witnesses this kiss. Now it got me to thinking that if I was in the situation with a potential boyfriend (which by the way will probably never come about)

Anyways just thought I rant a bit

2. karl178

From my experience, it would not really be an issue if on a date with a guy. Firstly most normal people are either too caught up in their own bubble to even notice, would likely not even realise you are on a date and not say anything negative.

Maybe if you were holding hands or kissing in the restaurant you might get some glances, but I suspect it would not be quite as big a deal as you imagine (of course depends a bit where you live etc)

Regarding the lesbian kiss in the town centre, maybe the straight couple were whispering something positive about the pair, does not mean just because some people take note, that they disapprove.

What do you think? :slight_smile:

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

It was just something from they body language that seemed to lean more on the negative side than positive

4. Sanssouci

One of my favourite films is A Single Man, and in that it's mentioned that we are an "invisible" minority. To most people, unless you're doing a public display of affection, you'll just look like two friends. People perceptive enough to work out from body language that you're on a date are very unlikely to care. Also, most people won't even notice you're there unless you have a seat they would like.

Public displays of affection.. to be honest I've never been in this situation, and I don't know how I'd feel about it. Especially in my home-town. But that is down to each couple's personal taste I think. You're not under any pressure to do something you're that uncomfortable with. But the whispering heterosexual couple whispering shouldn't really bother you.. if they're even whispering about that, how boring must their lives be if that's the conversation?

5. Pain

Pain Guest

Gazza, the thing is about this, you gotta be confident so as not to make it awkward! It doesn't have to be awkward, but someone has to make it so! And saying that it's super super really unlikely that you're gonna get asked out/find a man doesn't help! Your profile says you're shy, but don't let that prevent you from meeting anyone. You'll be fine, I'm sure :slight_smile:

You're worrying too much about what others will think! That's really hard not to do, from experience... :astonished: that is tough, but you just gotta get to the point that you don't care. If you're publicly insulted, try to ignore it, I suppose? Even counter-act it by ignoring it and maybe kissing, holding hands, smiling at your partner, et cetera (once you get one). Cheer up, man, you're awesome, on here at least. I don't know you, but being open here is easy and you have no trouble with that! You post something for every question you have, and I get scared sometimes when it comes to posting things-- I'm afraid of sounding stupid. :la: Im not saying you sound stupid; I'm saying you're admirable for that, but just try not to be as shy, man! You're great, and let people IRL know that!

6. ToTheCeilingFan

Hon, they'll stare. People can be total idiots and have the tendency to stare unabashedly at things that confuse them. But it won't be awkward unless you let it be. Choose to think that you're getting stared at because you're both so schmexy and they're overwhelmed by the double attractiveness present in a gay couple. :wink:

7. JillandJill

I recently had my first gay date..... and it was actually INCREDIBLE. We went up to the mountains at night and hiked out to this overlook and just sad and talked and looked out at the beautiful lit-up city and the stars and could completely enjoy the simplicity of nature and each others' company. It was kind of magical :slight_smile: