1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to Parents; no response yet.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kirkfan, Aug 1, 2012.

1. kirkfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my parents on the 25th July in a letter. I know that the letter must have gotten to them by now, but I have heard nothing from them. I am particularly worried because they live in a state where there is virtually no support for families of gay people. I was extremely amicable and complimentary of my parents' work at raising me, but am worried that all they were able to get out of my 6 page letter is that I am gay. I am not too sure what that means to them, although I know that they have issues with homosexuality because of how they were raised. I am looking for resources that might make it easier for them to cope with the news.

2. Cloudbreaker

I sent my sister a message telling her that I was into guys. Nothing about it was mentioned by her for three weeks after she read it. Even then she only responded after I asked her to. She said she would have preferred to talk to me in person rather than communicate over the internet.

So maybe they want to talk to you in person too? Maybe they are as nervous about bringing it up as you are? You may have to be the one to start the conversation. Maybe ask them if they got your letter?

#2 Cloudbreaker, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  3. itsaldo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even after a month i came out to my parents they don't even talk to me or look me in the eyes :/ i just hope yours understand and cope nicely with it :slight_smile: best wishes

4. kirkfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Dad finally responded to my letter, and the news is good :slight_smile:

5. BudderMC

^ good to hear!

If you still need resources for their benefit, you might want to check if they have a local PFLAG chapter or LGBT center they could go to. If not, you can always refer them to the PFLAG site: PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays

If not, there's also a bit of resources on EC for parents that you could pass along to them too.

6. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome Kirkfan :smilewave
    Congratulations!!(!):thumbsup:

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad to hear that he responded well!!

8. solost44

solost44 Guest

So happy to hear their reply was good. Congratulations and continued success on your journey!