1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school, coming out and major crush on classmate. Gawd.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by heyou, Aug 1, 2012.

1. heyou

heyou Guest

I'm 15, gay and completely closeted. As everyone knows, high school definitely isn't the best place to be gay, and as many I was planning on coming out after finishing it.

Thing is there's this new guy in my classroom which I have a major crush on, and I believe he also feels the same towards me. He's most likely closeted, though.

That's not very important, the thing is I wasn't expecting falling in love so quickly and so early in my life. God damn, I'm only 15. And I've actually realised there are many in very similar situations to mine.

So, going straight (how ironic) to the point, I'm very confused about how far I would/should/could go with this crush. I mean, I really want to be with him, no doubts. But if being gay in high school already wasn't bad enough, being a gay couple in high school would make things waaaaaaaaay worse.

What do you think? I think I'll just see where it goes (if it goes anywhere) with my crush first, and if it works out maybe talking to him would be the only solution, but please share your thoughts!

2. LisforLisa

You should first see and talk to him if he actually is gay. If he is gay you could have a secret relationship. But I don't recommend coming out in high school. It's terrible so you should wait until college.

3. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only solution here as far as I can see it is to come out to him yourself. If he, firstly, is actually gay, and secondly, has realised it and come to terms with it, he should be forthcoming about it with you. But the worst thing is that if he doesn't say something straight away, you're left wondering if he still is actually gay but doesn't know it yet — or the slightly more likely possibility of him just being straight.

When you're closeted, it's hard to get past the idea of coming out involving a megaphone and a podium in front of your entire school. But it doesn't have to be that way. You don't have to hide who you are, but there is no reason to go and shout about it either. As you said, high school isn't the best place. But still, it doesn't mean that you can't be open about it if someone figures it out and you're comfortable telling them. I've never been one for telling the whole world; after all, being gay is just one part of me, and it's just one part of you. I don't go around shouting about many of the other important things in my life that I think define me!

So the same thing, I think, applies to being in a relationship. If someone figures it out and doesn't seem repulsed, great. If not, you don't need to broadcast it to everyone. Plus, trying to keep a relationship secret can be fun when it's your first one. I can understand that after a certain point it will become tiresome, but it takes a while and a few relationships to say 'enough is enough' kind of thing.

And now, with regards to your crush... how well do you know him? (You said he's the new guy, yet you think he might be interested in you...) Have you spoken to him before? What kind of signs are you getting from him? Please don't think that we're going to think it's silly if you've interpreted an odd glance in a way that makes you think he's in to you... I, especially, have gone through many a crush where I've interpreted things the wrong way and the right way, and it's never easy to tell until you let someone else know the things you think you're picking up on.

But if you haven't spoken to him yet, well of course it's the only solution! That is unless you have some extra-sensory telepathic communication skills... :grin:

4. heyou

heyou Guest

Thank both of you for answering! It really helps a lot. I think I left the things with my crush a bit vaguely, so I am going to give you some background - I had alredy done so in a previous thread but I can't seem to find it lol, so I'll just write stuff again.

I've known him now for about 4 months. At first I discovered we had stuff in common so I wanted to become friends with him, but I quickly fell for him. I didn't make a big thing out of it a first, though, I mean, what were the chances of him being gay?

I started noticing the way he acted. He was very flirty with all the guys, never talked about girls and would always joke about being gay.

Also, there was this party where two very cute girls that wanted to hook up with him, he gave silly excuses and refused (one of which was "I'm gay" in a joking tone). The same night we went to a sleepover on a friend's house and I was pretty happy because we would have to share a bed for lack of space, turns out we didn't and he'd sleep on the other side of the room. A bit later he came to my bed, got under my blanket and held my hand for a second, while mantaining serious eye contact. It was soooo cute and he then tried to touch my face, but I was with a 38,5º fever sooo I kinda backed off. That was when I started feeling REALLY attracted to him.

Following week he told everyone in our class he was gay, everyone thought he was joking since he always is. A couple of days later he started saying really gross stuff such as "in my old school I sucked my friends' cock" and I started feeling very uncomfortable around him, then he told everyone he was joking and he was straight.

Then he suddenly started annoying the crap out of me talking about this girl and how she was beautiful. It was extremelly weird since he had never talked about girls and he picked just one with a boyfriend.

He soon came back to normal, actually better. He seemed to feel very comfortable around me and we started flirting a lot, he was very cute and touchy. Sometimes we'd just hug or maintain some cute eye contact, or he'd say stuff like "you've got a warm hand, won't you hold mine forever?" (in a joking tone, of course). This day he was acting pretty awkward to me and I asked why and he said "because I feel attracted to you" (but in a joking tone) and then suddenly changed the subject.

I love drawing, and this one time he caught me drawing him on my notebook. I felt very very awkward and blushed, but he smiled and said "don't erase it". It was so cute, omg.

We chat a lot on facebook too - it's been almost 6000 messages already. We've been chatting little lately because he's on vacations, but he'll be back next week. One of our latest conversations was pretty awkward, also.

Him: Hi
    Me: Hey! How's it going?
    Him: I love you
    Him: Fine, thanks
    Him: Damn
    <awkward silence until he logs out>

That's pretty much everything, I guess. :3

5. Night Rain

Wait, that sounds strangely familiar. You posted that once, right?
    Does high school really suck that much? When I was in high school, there was this gay couple, one was my classmate and the other wasn't. The other guy was even invited to our class trip, and he did come. All my classmates were very nice towards them. I guess it's just my class...

Anyway, what are you waiting for? Just come out to him and see how he reacts. He's too damn gay IMO. Just hope that he accepts himself.

6. IllusiveRannoch

i think i can understand why you might be hesitant to tell him given age & school. and yes, high school really does suck (even in private religious schools like the ones i went to, its almost kind of like a social caste system), to higher or lower levels depending on where you're at & who the people are. but if he really is that close a friend, & you're sure he won't go locker room gossip about sensitive issues between you two, it sounds like it wouldn't hurt to set some time aside with him & have some real, emotional one on one conversation.

7. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, he is the jokingly guy type. If speculating about someone's sexuality is already hard, guys who joke about it and jokingly say/do "weird" things for an heterosexual guy make it even harder! Its exciting in one hand, but very annoying in the other. I have a class mate who is like that and I've been on a serious crush for some time lol.

But the blanket thing and serious eye contact, thats definitely not usual for a supposedly heterosexual guy. You should have some time alone and perhaps talk about it haha, since you seem to fairly close, its pretty possible. Good luck !

8. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Gleeko0 is saying is true about the "jokey" guy types. When I was fifteen, I had a major crush on a guy who gave all these types of signals. He would hug me and put his hands on my ass, he would ask that we could have a sleepover so we can play "truth or dare", he would rub my leg in class, he would stare at me and smile... the lot. I was convinced he was gay or bisexual, and I came out to him. He seemed OK for a while, but as soon as he begun to realise I was interested in him, he kind of moved away. To this day, I still think he may be bi, but he is either pretending to be straight or is actually straight. In the end, I think sexuality can be fluid enough, and he may be something like 90% straight (if you don't know what I mean, look up about the Kinsey scale) and that was just his experimental phase or something, I don't know. But it's something to think about.

It even went down to things like him asking to go out on a date and then say that he was joking later, and stuff like that. Similar enough situation.

EITHER way, whether he is gay or not (as in not gay but maybe 90% straight), I think if the moment came you two could do something sexually. I don't know what you're looking for or what you're interested in, but that will definitely be possible in this "fluid" time in his sexual development. But even if something like that did happen, I wouldn't expect a full-blown relationship and for him to be like this forever.

I could be wrong, though.

9. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

If you aren't sure you can trust him, don't come out to him.

I don't think coming out at high school is the worst thing in the world necessarily. It depends on your school. I waited until later in my junior year, but when I was 15 as you are, I wouldn't have... but I wouldn't have been the only one who had.

Sounds so frustrating though getting mixed signals. Do you think he would guess that you were gay?

10. ToTheCeilingFan

I dated a girl in high school and everyone pretty much accepted us -- we never made out in the hallways or anything but we'd hold hands and snuggle and were generally out as together and nobody gave us any trouble, with the exception of a few idiots. Really, I think it depends on your high school.
    But yeah, if you think you're in an accepting enough environment coming out would be a good start. It sounds like he's still trying to accept himself and get comfortable with his own orientation -- he may not be ready for a boyfriend yet. But if you come out he'll know you're available.
    Hope it goes well hon. <3

11. heyou

heyou Guest

Thanks a lot for the replies.

About him being the jokey type, that was exactly what I was thinking. Maybe he's just joking around and that's why I was hesitating, and pretty much waiting for something else coming from him, if anything would happen.

So, I saw him again this week on school. I thought that because of the time we hadn't seen each other I was quite over him, but nah. I actually fell way harder for him. Just for you to have an idea, he jokingly slapped me in the face and I suddenly got a boner.

At first I was very shy to him but soon after things were back to normal: more and more mixed signs creeping me over. It would feel quite useless to write about them, though. Anyway things kinda changed today, I was pretty much overly shy to him.

He came next to me and started singing a very cute song, while smiling and staring at me. I just went very very very veeeeeeeeeeery red like a tomato. He surely noticed it. Even when he told me it was an One Direction song, I couldn't get mad at him (I'm a metalhead, lol).

Later he came to me (cute as always) and said "look, what do you want?". I went tomato again (and again he noticed it), but he changed the subject before I could answer. Even so, I said "well... I want a lot". I must be retarded.

I feel bad, it feels like I'm not doing shit. I guess I'll try asking him out (cinema, maybe), if anything I can say "lol, just kidding" or something.

There's something else I feel bad about, and it's posting here. I mean, it feels like I'm writting something more stupid and worthless than Twillight. Thanks for reading it anyways, it just feels good to think about it a bit deeper while I write.

12. Gen

Gen

Thats a stretch :/

We all know what it feels like to be in that emotional roller coaster so no ones is judging you. There really isnt any perfect advice in these situations. You dont have to be all formal if you are going to ask him out somewhere. It doesnt have to be a "date". Just try to go places to spend more time together. That way there is less pressure.

Best of luck :slight_smile:

13. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

It's good to talk through things and especially because you are completely in the closet I am glad you can talk about this with people on ec :slight_smile: People here like reading these things and helping for many various reasons (just look at how many people have viewed this post and other posts) some may be able to take peoples advice for you and apply it to themselves... So definitely no need to feel bad at all :slight_smile:

And Other then that I agree with Gen, I hope things work out... Keep us updated :slight_smile:

14. heyou

heyou Guest

Thanks for being so supportive. I hope this can be taken as advice for someone :slight_smile:

I'm so happy right now. This morning in school he was again very cute to me. Thing is, it just doesn't feel like he's joking anymore, this time it's for real. I can't really explain it.

He was quite touchy and held some of the cutest ever eye contact - even though he was veeeeery serious. It was enough hint to me, and I remembered he asked me yesterday "What do you really want?" so I just came to him and said: "You know what I really want?". He replied "Yes" (*3*) and I said "I want to go out this weekend". He kinda blushed and then he said "Well, know if there's anything good enough on the cinema?".

Oh my god, he's so cute. I'm really having a good feeling about this.

15. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy crap! That sounds really great. You don't know how big my smile was when I read that.

If you don't update us in real time while you're in the cinema with him, I will go mad. Or at least as soon as you can get to a computer! Honestly, if you decide to not come back to Empty Closets for like a week or something, I will die with suspense.

Good luck!

16. bob94

^This made me lol!

You have to keep us updated! I think he's definitely gay. He probably says those gay thing "jokingly" to see what peoples' reactions are.

17. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

So good to hear :slight_smile: ... I'd be convinced for sure!... Keep us updated please!!!

18. ToTheCeilingFan

EEEEP!!!! :grin:
    Dude, you gotta tell us what happens. So psyched for you!!!!!(*hug*)

19. heyou

heyou Guest

Uhh, nothing happened. I mean we didn't go out.

Thing is I hadn't "oficially" asked him out on Friday. I just wanted to see how he'd react, and I was going to ask him out today, but I couldn't talk to him the whole day, he just disappeared!!! :frowning2:

I'm still happy as fuck, though! Looking forward to this week.

Anyways, on a quite unrelated topic, I've been seeing this psychologist which my mother sent me to because her and my father got divorced and she thought I had some problem with that (which I actually don't). She is her "friend" but I was wondering if I should tell her I'm gay, or if she'd tell my mom. I have no idea if I can trust her. Any thoughts?

20. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This may be different in the US but here you're protected by the Data Protection Act, and breaking doctor-patient confidentiality is against the law. She'd get fired if she told your mom.

And just to mirror everyone else, please keep us updated on the situation!