1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lit a fire under my ass

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mlpguy88, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hear me out on this. Today when I was working I was talking to someone that I sometimes have to work with (I have a job stocking beer) We were talking about stupid random things and we got on the topic of Micheal Jackson somehow, we told some tasteless jokes to each other and then at the end of the conversation he said "I'm glad hes dead, one less fag in the world." I didn't say anything back, and that isn't the first time he has said something like that. But the weird part was that I felt unafraid, so to speak. I feel bad about myself alot of the time, but if someone goes on the offense I wouldn't be afraid to fight them. I have felt this way before when I have heard gay bashing, not that I have said anything, most likely because I am closeted. But the main point I am getting at is the only time I don't feel bad about myself is if someone were to go on the offensive.

Does this make sense at all?

2. Night Rain

Yep, it reminds you that you're not on the bad side, he is, and you have a reason to fight back.

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I think I sort of understand what you're saying, in that you probably have a low sense of self-esteem, but will take up for others and your ideals. If I'm totally off-base then I'm sorry, but that's the impression I got from your post. But I think that's normal in most respects. It's totally normal to feel pissed off when someone hatefully disagrees with something we passionately believe in, to some extent.

Honestly, you should just come out. Because then you don't have to deal with stuff like that very often, mostly because the really obvious homophobes are going to avoid you, which is a blessing. And when you do come across someone like that, you're in a position to stand up for not only yourself (which is so empowering by the way) but for your friends and loved ones too. I mean, you could have said something today and said that you have a gay brother or an uncle or something which could be true for all I know, and that you find that really, really offensive, as any decent human being would.

4. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes that is it, I have very low self esteem. I know I should have said something, but I am very afraid of being outed still. :icon_sad:

5. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I felt like that too - I didn't say homophobic things, but I didn't challenge others.

That's different now, but that's to do with age and experiences I've had and you shouldn't feel ashamed.

Does this guy do this often? He might just have been trying to provoke a reaction to see where YOU stand - I think some parents do that too - say something outrageous in order to smoke out the badger!

6. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well lets face it Michael Jackson was a boy fag raper lol

ok jokes aside, I think it's mainly due to the fact that you're still in the closet. You know while I was in the beginning of self exploration I was quite a homophone myself... I would say some stuff, but never do anything. (even though i grew up knowing lesbians and a couple of gays.) When I came to the stage where I though I was bi, i kinda eased up on that. Now that I am openly gay, it's totally different

7. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No he defiantly meant it, I really don't see him very often because I usually work alone but he has made those comments before. Truthfully even if I was out I wouldn't bother with him, it made me mad but he is one of those people that isn't worth my trouble. I am the least violent person there is, but knowing I could knock him on his ass makes it a little easier to hear.

8. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone