1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet someone after talking online

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Loras, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Loras

So I meet a guy online and we've been talking on Facebook for a few weeks he used to live about 30min from me and now he has moved just round the corner from me and now I want to meet up with him.
    What should I do? Should I ask if he wants to meet for coffee, invite him round for a movie, invite him to drinks with a few friends or invite him to a party?
    Ive never meet anyone online before so I need some advice, ive never dated a guy before so im quite shy/nervous but by the sounds of it he is to because he said he saw me one time but was to shy to talk to me.
    It sounds like we've both had hook ups with guys before but never actually dated a guy before and I don't want this to turn into a no strings attached thing.

Any advice would be awesome since im new to this whole thing! Thanks!!!

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you know each other a little more than just a random online meeting - though I'm just assuming this from the fact that he knows he's seen you before in person and you live just around the corner (but to be fair I'm not entirely sure what that implies).

Regardless, if you don't know someone, the general rule of thumb is to meet them in the open, during the day, with other people around. If you want to be really safe, tell someone else where you're going, what you're doing, etc. So, going out at night for drinks, maybe not - but coffee during the day probably isn't a bad idea. Plus, if you're both nervous, something low-key might be a good idea anyway. :slight_smile:

3. Billeraphon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Gravity. Please be careful and tell a trusted friend if you can. Definitely during the day in the open with some people around. I am sure everything will go fine but please have a backup escape plan.

4. Loras

I think ill ask him for coffee, him moving round the corner from me isnt dodgy at all we both go to university and he moved in with some friends who already live by the university, he didn't know were i lived before then. I think maybe we could just go for coffee on Tuesday which we both have off at the university cafe and since hes new to town possibly invite him out for drinks/clubbing one night?

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah - if that's why he moved down the street, then it doesn't sound like a problem.

Once you've gotten to know him, drinks might be fine. Clubbing might be fun too, depending on what he's interested in. Once you meet up and you have a sense of what he's interested in, you'll know better what he - and you - might like to do together. :slight_smile: Have fun!