1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflicting Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mnstn, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Mnstn

I had orginally planned to wait to come out to my mom, I planned to wait till next year but I feel now that I am ready to come out. I am still trying to figure out weather I am bisexual or a lesbian. I've read in places that you should wait until your totally sure about your sexuality to come out. I've also read that it is ok to come out without being sure, to just say something like "Mom, I think I am bisexual, maybe a lesbian. I am not sure." I just don't know, I want to come out now because my mom is a great source of advice and inspiration to me and I need someone to talk to about my whole sexuality problem and the problems that come along with that.

My second question is how do you know when is the right time? When is a good moment to come out?

2. Merc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, as a bi or a lesbian, you're still attracted to other girls. And that's basically what you want to communicate in coming out, right? That you like the same gender. Depending on how it goes, you could say that you aren't sure whether or not you like guys too.

And I can understand the need to come out to your mother- having someone close to you that you can talk to is really nice. As for when a good moment is, I think that it's a bit different for everyone. The first time I came out it was because a person online wouldn't stop teasing me about liking this one guy (a completely false statement- he said this when he thought I was asexual), and I just snapped and told him. It wasn't ideal, and I still think I could have handled it better, but at that moment I wanted to come out.

I don't know if your mom talks to you about boys or anything, but if she does, and asks you what you think of them, you could at least drop a major hint that you're (at the very least) not really attracted to guys. If she doesn't talk to you about that sort of thing, you could just start a conversation up on an otherwise average day. Just tell her that you need to talk to her about something, and take it from there.

This probably isn't all that helpful, but if it is, yay! I hope everything works out well for you!

3. Mnstn

Yea, I do want to communicate that I like other girls. Your information was helpful, I liked the idea of dropping a major hint like that. Thanks.