1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by messiaen, Aug 5, 2012.

1. messiaen

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am wondering if I am bisexual.

About 5 years ago I wondered if I was gay. I was able to imagine being in a relationship with some of my guy friends. However, I never experimented, put it down to a teenage phase and still found girls attractive so had relationships with them.

A couple of yeas ago this question of whether I was gay came up after having been at university interviews where I met a guy I really got on well with and had a laugh. I only discovered he was gay afterwards but it got me thinking. We chatted for months on skype etc. I told him my concern and he really supported me. I went to visit him during a holiday and we ended up kissing which felt fine and we also went further in bed which all felt ok at that point. The next morning I felt realy weired and ended up saying that It had been a mistake brought on by the wine.

Since then I have only had girlfriends and only had sex girls but still find that I can think a guy is good looking and mabye even see us being more than mates but i'm not sure how far I could go with a guy and basically i'm a bit confused by it all......

Any advice would be SO welcome!!

Thanks,

M

2. BudderMC

Well, if you're sexually attracted to men and women (to any degree) then yeah, technically you're bisexual.

Being bi doesn't mean you HAVE to date men, it just means that you'd be willing if the right guy came along, because you also have that attraction to them. A straight guy wouldn't want to date the most perfect man for him because he could never find him attractive. You're also "allowed" to have a preference for men vs. women.

Your worry with how far you'd go with a guy might be brought on by the other experience, when it all happened kind of quick. I'm sure back when you were a teenager (and a virgin), there was some point where you thought "well, I don't know if I can actually have sex with this girl..." and it's the same thing here in a sense. I'm sure if you met a guy you really loved, you'd be more up for doing "things". And if you weren't, you could indicate that to him, and since he loves you he'd respect that.

3. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Before I accepted my sexuality, I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that maybe I was bi, but it didn't matter, because there weren't any girls I was interested in dating at the moment. But that was just my excuse not to think about it. When I did eventually realize that I had feelings for a girl, I went back and forth between panic and denial until I eventually came to terms with it.

My guess is that if you think you have the potential to be attracted to a guy or be in a relationship with a guy, you're probably bi. But you're still allowed to date who you want, whether that's girls or guys. I wouldn't advise dating a guy just as an experiment (unless it's someone you truly are interested in), just because that's bound to be unsatisfying.

4. messiaen

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the advice!

I think I probably am bi but haven't come to accept that yet. A massive barrier is the sort of response it would get from people in the future. It seems like there is almost more oppositon as people find it much more difficult to understand and may think you're just confused and it's a phase or that you have to decide.

@Pinstripe......is there anything you would advise in terms of coming to accept it or is it most likely just to take time?

M

5. blightedsight

I'll tell you a story.

I am bisexual. I was openly bisexual when this story takes place.
    I got a job at a pub in central London several years ago now. It was a quite well known gay pub/club. On my first shift, I was a big hit with the customers and the staff liked me.
    On the way home, I was walking with another member of staff who had just started and the topic of my sexuality came up. Now, I should point out in the interview my sexuality was never broached, but I assumed, being that I was known to partake in the old Sausage Smoking, that it wouldn't be a problem.
    Anyway, next shift, I went in, and all shift the boss was giving me odd tasks(such as collecting glasses when there clearly were no glasses to collect) then would reprimand me when I didn't bring any back.
    While this was going on, I was an even bigger hit with the customers, 1 particular guy who was a regular actually shouted, at the end of the night so the whole staff could hear, that I was his new favourite because I was really quick at serving and making sure everyone was happy.
    Well, when the last customer left, the manager took me to one side and told me that he wasn't going to keep me at the pub.
    I was shocked. I was clearly a big hit with the customers. The other staff seemed to like me and every single nonsense job I had been asked to do I had done.
    Heck, I even did a quick BO check to see if, maybe, I smelled funny, but everything seemed fine, so it didn't make sense.
    After about 10 minutes of prodding, the manager finally admitted that he didn't like the idea of a bisexual working in the bar.
    Needless to say, I was totally taken aback by this. I had no idea at the time that being bisexual was an issue for working in a gay bar.
    Since then, it has become quite clear that some gay people really don't like, or know how to be around bisexuals.
    I'd been used to this reaction from straight people, but from gay people too, yeah, it actually upset me.

The point of this long story was merely to show you, I understand why you say "It seems like there is almost more oppositon as people find it much more difficult to understand and may think you're just confused and it's a phase or that you have to decide."

BUT, you shouldn't let other peoples issues or ignorance be a barrier to you becoming the awesome person you're supposed to be. The only person that has an adverse effect on is you, so please, try and work out who you are and be the best you, you can be.

6. Dolphinkid

Aww man really? Working at a gay bar sounds awesome.... oh well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    On another not, um well it took time and a lot of time on the internet for me to accept it, and I didn't even have this great site...

7. angiemari

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I always new I was bisexual. I never openly came out cause when I was younger I had never really found that girl. There was one but she had a girlfriend and eventhough we flirted it never went anywhere and then I met my husband who at the time my feelings were strong for. It's been there hiding in me all these years and last year when I was going through a possible divorce I met a girl ( not sure if she is gay or bi ) and my feeling went into over load lol. That's when I came out to a couple friends and my niece it was never a hard thing for me to come to terms with when I started having feelings for her it was just like any feelings I've had for guys the hard part was working with her and not feeling like I could tell her.

8. Bi As A Kite

It takes the second-guessing out of worrying etc. whether you prefer guys or girls - just shrug your shoulders and think "I like what I like."

A favourite mantra of mine (and not just because I concieved it) is: All that's real is how you feel.