1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I tell him?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sayu, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Sayu

My parents are divorced and my step-dad sometimes asks me questions like "When are you getting a boyfriend?" It really pisses me off and I've told him, but he didn't cut it off :bang: He knows that it annoys me and he uses it like teasing or whatever. We have a good relationship, we don't argue, but this seems like his way of having fun. He asks maybe once a month. Today he told me: "Hey, the summer's half over and you still haven't got a boyfriend. I responded: "Yeah, I know. Does that bother you?" or something like that.

I always chicken out and then after a few minutes I imagine what I could have said to him. I thought about saying: "You know, if I wanted a boyfriend, I'm sure I would find one."

I think this has happened to a lot of you guys too. What should I say the next time he asks? :confused: I would like to use it as an opportunity to give him a hint that I'm probably gay.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. Superlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, well done for not going mad at him, first question though, does your mum know? If not, she might be offended you told your step-dad first and not her. This is really relevant if you give a bit of an obvious clue and he guesses straight away.

Good luck! x

3. Ianthe

Well, you could always go with, "I'm gay, I don't want a boyfriend. I want a girlfriend." (That's roughly what I tell anyone who asks me that sort of question, personally. Hinting doesn't work unless you are really blatant about it, and then you may as well just tell the person, it's much simpler.)

But, if that's too hard, you could just say the "I don't want a boyfriend," part. At least it's part of the truth.

4. TalkDTalk

Hello Sayu,
    I dont think its as easy as everyone says,you need to be sure that it wouldnt cause a hitch at home.But my question is ..are you thinking you are gay?

5. Sayu

My mum doesn't know, my brother is the only family member that knows. I guess they suspect it though, but I'm not sure. But he almost always asks when my mum is able to hear it, so she too would hear what I'd answer.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2012 at 10:08 AM ----------

Hi :slight_smile: Well, it isn't so hard for me, I guess, because I really really want to come out and I'm literally looking for a great opportunity when I wouldn't chicken out :icon_bigg And the answer to you question - yes, I do think I'm gay, although I'm not 100% sure. I like boys too, but in different way. I'm looking forward to have a relationship with a girl and in past few years I've only had strong crushes on women :icon_wink

#5 Sayu, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  6. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that parents sometimes tease their children about boyfriends/girlfriends because teenagers (particularly) feel awkward about discussing it. Parents get a sick kind of pay-back by making their kids squirm a little! Perhaps your step-dad is just joshing with you.

Of course, it could also be that your mother and he have an idea that you might be gay, your mother feels awkward about raising the issue and therefore step-dad has taken on the task of "pushing".

If this is the case, he seems to be going about it in quite a "kind" way, even if it IS annoying.

I think you are being given an opportunity to tell them and it's being done in a light-hearted way to take the stress from it for you.

The trouble is, just like you, I often think of how I SHOULD have responded just after it's too late. I like the idea of the "If I were looking for a boyfriend it would be a girl"- approach - it's not confrontational or angry.

Parents often have an idea, you know. Most spend your whole life watching you, even if they do mess it up now and then. :smilewave

7. Sayu

Thanks for the response :icon_wink I think it is the first case and he's just teasing me :rolle: But I also think they suspect that I could be gay as I fit the stereotypes quite a lot :rolle: Well, maybe next time he asks I'll give him some hint :icon_bigg