1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with crush...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bicurious, Aug 5, 2012.

1. bicurious

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi all, I'm new to this site and am hoping to get some advice with a problem I'm having.

First, a little about me. I'm a late 30 something single female, mostly straight but have suspected I may be bi on and off for a number of years. I've never had a relationship with a woman but have had a few relationships with men.

My current problem is this: I have a serious crush on a gay man. He is someone I work with - he is a sort of mentor to me in my job. We are the same age. He is one of the kindest people I know. I developed a crush on him a few months ago and have been trying to get over it, but it's not working... :help: I know he was in a long term relationship with a man until recently and he is now single. I actually was making some progress in getting over him until I found out he was single, and then I feel like it threw me back into the crush full force again. :eusa_doh: It's a huge crush, I think about him all the time. I know he likes me, and I can tell he is genuinely interested in helping me at work - he goes out of his way and bends over backward to help me, when I walk into the room, I can tell he notices me and I truly think he cares about me as a mentor. I'm guessing that's all it is from his side, but I'm not sure.

I don't know what to do. I can't see asking him if he's interested - I think it's so unlikely, and I don't want to sabotage my working relationship with him. I wish I could stop thinking about him.

Someone help me.

~Heartsick

2. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Hi! Welcome to EC :slight_smile:

Getting over a crush is hard... but I think it is unlikely that you will ruin things with him. Odds are being a gay man, he has dealt with many crushes on straight men... and would fully understand having a crush on someone even though he knows it wouldn't work. That at least seems likely to me.

Getting over a crush it may be in your best interests to temporarily try and distance yourself somewhat from him.

Are you sure that he is not bi-sexual? Has he said he is gay, or did you just assume he is because he had a long term relationship with a man? That could make a big difference.

3. bicurious

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi Alexi, Thanks for your reply. :slight_smile:

He is openly gay, though I don't know for sure that he is not Bi. I have just assumed he's gay because that's how everyone at work knows him. He is active in the LGBT community.

I don't know whether to tell him or not. Do you think telling him would help me?

I can try distancing myself, but I do have to work directly with him some at work, and I worry about making him think I don't like him (sometimes I can come across cold to people so I feel like I have to work hard not to be that way, if that makes sense...)

4. Nobodylikesme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im no expert on this but, just be careful and remember this is a working environment. He might get weirded out. I agree that distance would be good. My intuition tells me you are going to get hurt in the end. I hope I'm wrong :slight_smile:

5. bicurious

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the responses.

Oddly, writing this thread sort of helped me a little, I think. I realize that I am allowing myself to entertain a fantasy that can't happen.

I'm going to take your advice and try to distance myself a bit and look for someone who is available to me. :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

6. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would ask you to be sensitive and not make him think he has done something wrong. He's not responsible for the fact you have a crush on him.

It would be a shame if he's made to feel you feel uncomfortable around him, if you get what I mean. (*hug*)

Welcome to EC, by the way. :smilewave

7. bicurious

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Bobbgooduk, thank you for saying that. I do need to be careful because sometimes I can come across as cold and people think I don't like them. He's a great guy, and I really want to be friends with him and want to continue to work with him. I wish this wasn't so hard. :confused: