1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A female friend has admitted feelings for me.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KeanusGuitarus, Aug 6, 2012.

1. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    One of my female friends admitted to liking me a lot and I don't know what to do. The way she phrased it made me feel really bad about my sexuality. I feel as if I could have a completely emotional relationship with a girl but I do not find myself attracted to one. What should I do?

2. blightedsight

Best course of action is to explain to her that you love and care for her(if you do) but it would never be the kind of love and care that she desires, if she wants you romantically, and sexually, because thats not who you are.
    Then you need to tell her that her friendship means so much to you that you don't want this to get in the way, but you also need to allow her to take some time to deal with any feelings of humiliation she has(we all feel a bit humiliated when we're rejected even if the rejection is done in a really mature and open way) as well as letting her deal with understanding the feelings she has for you.
    I would, however, recommend, you don't let her dwell away from you for too long as this could also effectively end the friendship.

Tread carefully but be as reassuring as you can be.

3. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you want? A female friend or a girlfriend?

It's difficult - you don't want to hurt her feelings, but you don't want yours to be hurt either.

Does she know you're gay?

4. KeanusGuitarus

East Australia, in NSW, quite a while from Sydney.
    Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    She knows. I feel as if my emotional feelings are pan-romantic, but it still feels a little weird seeing as I am not at all attracted to a woman. I can admit she is good looking, but I am simply not attracted to a woman's physique.

5. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've answered you question yourself, then. She'll just have to accept that you like her a lot, maybe even love her, as friend, but you're not interested in her as a lover.

You're not being cruel and heartless - it's just the way things are - you can't be expected to fall in love with everyone who takes a shine to you.

I'm not really sure what she hoped to achieve by telling you, given that she knew you are gay.

All the same, it must be nice for you to know wishes things were different. :thumbsup: