1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Might be over-analyzing a reaction from my aunt's boyfriend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Aug 6, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey all,

So yesterday was my Grandmother's birthday and I hadn't seen that side of the family since I cut my hair. For background, I went for having really really long hair to buzzing it all off, I now get mistaken for a boy often (yay!) and have just enough hair left to make a small fauxhawk.

So my aunts boyfriend is kind of a douche. The I'm well off and will show off to you poor people (my mother) type, so who always thinks he's right, and turns into an ass when he drinks.

When he saw my hair he stared at me for a few seconds and didn't speak to me all day, except to ask me how to cook my veggie burger. I'm not exactly complaining that he's not speaking to me because I really dislike the guy, but at the same time it makes me a little nervous because no one else, not even my 91-year-old grandmother reacted this way.

Am I making something out of nothing here?

2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He did speak to you, even if it was only about your burger.

You don't like him, with reason from what you describe, and he probably senses that.

I think you should take it as a positive sign - he was respectful enough not to make outrageous comments and to keep him mouth shut. I'd say that was a positive.

He's your aunt's boyfriend, his opinion really doesn't matter so my advice would be not to let it matter. You don't need or expect his approval. Leave it at that. (*hug*)

P.S. I like the word fauxhawk - never heard it before. I've had spiked hair in the past, and a pony-tail. Could it be time for a fauxhawk? :icon_bigg

3. Chrissouth53

I'm wondering if he knew who you were. I met my step nephew once and then a year or so later met him again. He had grown a beard and his hair was longer and when he said hi, I just gave him a courteous hi back and continued on my way.

When someone pointed out who he was, I was embarrassed and ran over and apologized. He was cool with it.

4. Kann

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I personally would be ecstatic that he didn't speak to me. Maybe it's for the better. You said you don't really like him, maybe he knows that. He did speak to you, so maybe he's trying?

5. MusicIsLife

Well in general he butts his opinion in on everything, and he is very argumentative. So seeing him not speak to me like that was unnerving, but it's true I'm not complaining. And Chrissouth53, theres no way he couldnt know who I was. I see him at my aunts like once every six months and theyve been together for a few years now.

6. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well maybe he's learned to keep his opinions to himself at long last.

I can understand that being a bit freaky after you've known him so long, but I'd enjoy the triumph, if I were you. Leaving a loud-mouthed gob-shite stuck for words is a BIG achievement! :eusa_danc