1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Curiositiy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by heatherrose, Aug 6, 2012.

1. heatherrose

Out Status:
    Some people
    So when I was about 19 years old I decided to come out and tell people that I was a bisexual. I liked girls and guys. I am now 28 and I have been questioning myself a lot lately. My last boyfriend I was with I was with for 7 years and now I am dating a guy that I have been with for almost two years. I have been questioning ever since my last boyfriend if I truely liked being with a guy. I haven't fully been with a girl but I feel like I have more attraction to girls than I do with guys. They understand you more, they like cuddling, kissing, being there for you etc. That is what I am into. I love girls personalities, and how they are gentle. I feel like I can't get that from a guy. So I have been so confused and been questioning myself for a while but been keeping it deep down inside me. Anyone got any good advice?

2. rx79g

A lot of the things you said about why you like girls more sound more like stereotypes of girls than anything. Do you not have those things in your relationship now? It's possible that your feeling attracted to the idea of girls for those reasons and not because you're a lesbian.

On the total flipside, it could be you're feeling this way because you are a lesbian. No one can tell stuff like that except you. You can ask yourself things like whatsex you're more attracted to but that can be very hard to do objectively.

The best way I've found (and I've tried a lot) is to mentally live a week as if you're a lesbian. Check out girls and whatever and just internalize the idea. If after a bit it starts feeling more natural to you than thinking you are straight or bi than you may be a lesbian.

Some bi people swing back and forth in their preferences. It's possible that you're just on one end of the swing.

If you haven't figured it out by now 1.) I'm really bad with advice and 2.) no one can tell you what you are. Just try to think about how you feel naturally, like who you check out or fantasize about. And try not to beat yourself up about it, that just makes it worse.

3. heatherrose

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. Im not trying to be stereotypical with girls. Just I have dated a girl before and I noticed that I got the things I have been looking for from here compared to dating a guy I wasn't as happy as I was with her. I would rather look at girls than guys and that was one of the reasons why I was like thinking and trying to figure out due to the emotions that I have towards girls than men.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there a reason you're still with this guy?

Lex

5. Rose

I do not have good advice but from what you describe, I perfectly understand what it is that makes you question your feelings. Giving yourself time and space to bring your emotions to the surface should help you to figure out what it is you really want in a relationship. How happy have you been with both your current and ex-boyfriend?

Orientation is super confusing sometimes. I was with a guy for ten years (very in denial) but am now 95% sure I am gay. I just know and I think I always have. So in my experience, instinct plays a big part. I connect very well emotionally to men but the physical attraction is just not the same. We are all different, and have different degrees of attraction for each gender, which goes to show just how grey orientation can be.

No easy answers, but time and space and being kind to yourself,

Best,

Rose

6. BudderMC

What's important to remember here is that like you know, stereotypes are stereotypes. So there will be women that will not give you what you're looking for, and there will also be men that will give you what you're looking for. Traits that are less sexually-driven like you've listed are not exclusive to males or females (though, they are more likely to be found in females).

Technically speaking, in being gay (or lesbian, in this case) it's with regards to your sexual orientation. Who are you sexually attracted to? It's possible you could be heterosexual and homoromantic or something. Try asking yourself this: would you date a guy if he was more "sensitive" in the ways you listed before?

You can also be bi to some extent too, just with a preference for women. That also means you're free to date men; it could just so be that you're only meeting with men rather than women. It happens.

If you're single now (and presumably looking to date), you sound pretty comfortable with the idea of liking women. Why not just let yourself date whoever you find attractive and go from there? You don't have to explicitly label yourself as bi or lesbian to date women (though if you were looking specifically for women, I guess it'd help).

7. heatherrose

Out Status:
    Some people
    I quite honestly dont have a full answer to reply to on that. I feel like I want to be with him in someways but then in other ways I feel like no attraction. I know kind of confusing.

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2012 at 04:37 PM ----------

I get where your coming from with homoromantic. I ve never heard of that until you wrote it so i had to look the word up. I never actually thought about if I would date a guy if he was more sensitive. I guess I would have to think about that. I am a very romantic and sensitive girl myself and thats what I sorta look for in someone. I am bisexual and have been for a while so thats what always gets me thinking sometimes too. Thanks for all the advice too.