1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to say or do.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Torielisam, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Torielisam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mother has strong Mormon beliefs and I want to tell her that I'm bisexual and that I'm in love with another girl. I'm just not sure what to say to her, when to say it, where I should tell her. I know she somewhat suspects, as I have been in LGBT clubs and was even president, she also suspects I have a girlfriend, which I do but the way she asked me; "are you and Emily lesbians?"
    It just made me worried shes homophobic or even worse. I'm ready to tell her but I just don't know how to get the words out.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, welcome to the site! I hope you get some help with this issue here.

As far as telling your mother. My usual advice is to keep things to one revelation at a time - first "I'm gay," then later "I have a girlfriend," and so forth. But it sounds like your mom already suspects the situation (accurately, from what you've said), so it may be difficult to keep the conversation focused on that.

On the upside, if she already suspects, then that might soften the conversation a lot - fewer surprises is definitely a good thing in this context. What indications have you gotten so far about how she might react to the news? Asking if you and Emily are lesbians doesn't necessarily sound homophobic to me, unless there's another angle that you haven't described yet. Could it be that she's prepared to be at least moderately accepting and is asking about some information she's already pretty sure is correct?

When you get to the actual stage of coming out, there are lots of ways to do it. I told one parent in person, during a car ride, and came out to the other in an email. Others here on EC have done it in written letters. You might do it with Emily by your side or you might do it by yourself - it depends on how much support you think you'll need, and how your mom might react in either scenario.

3. Torielisam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mother had expressed that she does not like anyone who considers themself a "homosexual". When she asked of Emily and I were lesbians she asked in a very rude manner, somewhat like she seemed disgusted by the idea.
    I hope she'll change her views for me though.