1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling lonely

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rx79g, Aug 6, 2012.

1. rx79g

I've been feeling really lonely lately, just like empty. A combination of not being out and not knowing any gay people means I have no chance of dating right now, and I really want to meet someone special. I feel like I can't be alone in this, especially among gay high school students. How do you deal with the feeling? I just want so bad to have a boyfriend to talk to and hug like my straight friends who are in relationships. I need a way to fill that gap (emotionally) and I was hoping some of you guys had suggestions.

2. Drakey

I'd like to say that I found a total cure for my loneliness but I'd be lying... I'm pretty much in the same situation except I'm out and gay guys ignore me. I find that I think a lot less about my loneliness when I'm doing a fun and exciting hobby that doesn't require me to think about the state of affairs in my love life. I read a ton, I love to hike, ski, etc. What is your hobby? Find it and immerse yourself in it! When you have a myriad of interesting hobbies then other people will find you interesting and guys will want to get to know you better and something could happen from there! :3
    hang in there! *hugs*

3. prism

The only time I ever felt "lonely" in high school was when one of my close friends started dating someone. There was always that pressure of trying to keep up.
    In my opinion, it's never healthy to fill our emotional gaps with people. People change, which is something we cannot control. You'll constantly try to replace that person and become completely dependent on others for happiness. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you should feel completely secure and content with yourself before entering a relationship. How can you take care of someone else when you're already trying to fix yourself?

Like Drakey said, what are some things you like to do? A hobby is a great thing to take your mind off of it, and you can join clubs to meet people with similar interests. Who knows, you might just meet that special someone when you least expect it!

If you are looking to connect with other LGBT members in your community, start by looking for school clubs, resource centers, or offices. Contact these places and see when they meet! If nothing like this exists in your community, you can blaze the trail and start one, or continue to access EC and other sites like it.

Hope this helps!

4. midnightvanity6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know what it's like to be lonely, it's scary to feel like you're alone, So my suggestion is, maybe try going to the mall or somewhere wearing a gay rights shirt, a guy might compliment it? or maybe try dating sites, it might be a way? Also, you don't always need other people to make you feel less lonely, try writing out you're thoughts, it sometimes cures loneliness, Or read books, or maybe as I was saying go out places, it might help you meet people :slight_smile:

5. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could you post asking if there are other people in your area who know of events, concerts, conferences etc that they could suggest to you, or clubs they might know of.

Such a lot depends on WHERE you live and what other people already know is available. Try it and see: Anyone from the Des Moines area? Any suggestions for......"
    P.S. I only chose Des Moines because I knew that Debbie did it, but that was a LOOOONG time ago.(*hug*)