1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haircuts that help FtMs pass

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fallible, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Fallible

I posted this in another section of this website but got no replies, so I thought I'd repost here: '-.-

So I'd like to get a haircut in the near future.. but I have no idea where to start. I'd like a short haircut that makes me look more masculine, but it needs to be feminine enough so my mom will let me get it. -.-
    So, anyone got any suggestions?

2. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Well, you could go for a unisex haircut:

[​IMG]

Or more of a long guy haircut:

[​IMG]

Or maybe a short girl haircut that could pass for a guy's haircut:

[​IMG]

I hope this helps :wink:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Maybe have a browse through the hairstyles catalog at the hair salon. I'm sure you would find something that you like, and that your mom would be okay with. :slight_smile: Or you could also try going for a short unisex haircut.

4. MusicIsLife

This may be a weird suggestion, but if you're near a city with a gay village, try and see if you can find a lesbian hairdresser. There's a place in my city nicknamed "Lesbian Haircuts for everyone" and the owner is Genderqueer, and on T. They cut my hair very short on the sides with it slightly longer on top, so I can spike it if I want. I'll post a picture on my profile for you to see. For me at least, its just more comfortable to visit a gender neutral place like that for hair, instead of trying for a barber or a hairdresser.

5. Curly

I got a lesbian (qender queer / butch) hairdresser too. lol

Maybe go with the pixie cut. Girls get that too. And it can look girly if your wearing girly stuff. But it can help pass good if you wanna put some product in it and go with the messy look

When I just started coming out, I had the longer pixie type cut that looked very bieber-esque when I threw on a hat. Now I have it really really short. Buzzed on the sides and longer on the top that can be spiked. Unfortunately no one is going to mistake that haircut for a girl's haircut

6. suninthesky

I was in the same situation as you, but that was a year ago. I got it cut short and that was that. My mom cried the first day, because I looked like a guy. But I was so happy with it that it didn't matter. Now she's used to it.

I'd just ask for a short haircut, ask them to style it girly, and wear girly clothes when you go so when you first get it done, you mom is okay with it. Then later don't bother styling it and go back to your usual/more masculine clothes. It's worth the discomfort for a day or two to give your mom time to get used to it. It seems like women in general (though not all) have some strange attachment to their hair that I will never understand. Lol.

Good luck, keep us posted?

7. If that's you in your profile pic, I would avoid a really short hair cut. Your face shape looks somewhat similar to mine, and when I got it cut short, it only seemed to emphasise the roundness, which is generally considered a female trait. So, just remember that short is not synonymous with masculine; it can actually have the opposite effect and make you look more girly.

I would go with something like this, except a little longer on the sides and in back:

[​IMG]

Note how his sideburns are squared off instead of pointed, which is how women with short hair usually have it cut. If you're feeling brave enough, perhaps you can ask the person cutting your hair to square off the sideburns, but leave enough hair over them so you can hide it from your mother. Then, if you want to experiment with passing in public, you can tuck that piece of hair behind your ear to show the sideburns. Just a suggestion.

There's no "universal" haircut that will help you pass, since it largely depends on your other features.

#7 electrolicious, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
  8. MusicIsLife

Lmao my mom cried too when she first saw my 'do, but it was for different reasons.

9. J Snow

Well I may not be FtM, but I can relate to your plight.

I haven't had a haircut in ages, and I like the long hair, though it looks admittedly stupid. My parents, my friends, everyone gives me crap about it EVERY TIME I talk to almost anybody. I'm sick of it, but I like having long hair. Granted it would look better if it wasn't just wild and untrimmed. Regardless, I'm afraid to cut my hair because I'm trying to figure out a way to start transitioning and I'm afraid to cut it =/

Not to mention I need to be looking for a job and I'm afraid my hair is going to reduce my chances of finding a job =(

10. seeksanctuary

I do not advocate going to a hairdresser, especially not a female hairdresser, regardless of her sexuality. My reasoning for this? You're not going to come out necessarily looking more masculine. You'll just come out looking like Justin Bieber. 8| The issue is that unless they are REALLY good, they're going to femme up your hairstyle. And while I understand you want something slightly feminine to get your mother to agree with it... You best bet would be to go to a barber, and tell them you're going to be doing a male role in a play. Ask for a masculine haircut. They'll probably give you a good, masculine haircut and your current physical appearance will "femme" up the haircut without really trying.

Maybe find short haircuts for your face type, and take it in to a barber and say "something like this"?

11. Curly

I can't say that I totally agree with this because the OP wanted something that can help her pass, but not scream "dude" at her mom. There are certainly some hair cuts that can be "femmed" up by the face, but some masculine haircuts are gonna be masculine hair cuts no matter what. I can guarantee you that my hair cut right now cannot be confused with a "girly" style, no matter how femme my face is and if i dress in girly clothes.

On the plus side, most barbers are cheaper than salons. Also, some of the girls working at salons may be judgemental about giving a more masculine haircut to a girl. You will probably need to be firm about what you want.

And my "girl" hairdresser does my guy hair just fine.