1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interracial Dating.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Aug 7, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey guys,

So I don't know how to word this without sound like an ass, so forgive me if it comes out that way. I met someone online, a girl who is african american. We have a lot in common, she's pretty, sweet, caring, and makes my heart flutter when I think of her. I asked her out, and though I havent had a yes or no from her yet I need to ask:

What are the do's and dont's of dating someone of a different ethnicity? The reason I ask is because I tend to say the wrong thing when it comes to race, I;m just your average, ignorant white guy. And I really like her, so I don't want to ask her something and have it come out wrong and make it sound like i'm a racist ass, which I'm not.

Advice?

2. prism

I'm biracial, and my parents could not have come from more different cultures. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but white people are so afraid of offending people of color! I understand why, but I think it's a total double standard. You'll say stupid things, but she will too. What kind of questions are you thinking about asking her? If you are genuinely asking a question with no intention of hurting anyone, I don't see a problem. Hatred makes you a racist, not misinformation. We can't help how we are raised. If you make a mistake, learn from it and move on.

Hope this helps!

3. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    prism basically hit that one on the head. As a former overly careful white guy (I'm still white...just not overly careful :grin:) As long as you don't use words that will obviously be construed as being offensive, then you'll be fine.

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed with everyone. Oversensitivity is pretty unsexy. Go with the flow, you'll be fine.