1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried that people won't believe i'm gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vhrebels, Aug 7, 2012.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Ok, so I'm going into 11th grade soon, and I found out that I'm gay like last March or something. So, I really want to come out to some of my friends at school, but I'm kind of worried that they won't believe me. I LOVE attention, and I joke around alot, which might cause them to think that I'm just coming out to get attention, (which im not). So, if they don't believe me that I'm gay, what should I do? Also, just about everyone likes me at my school, and I'm worried that if I come out, no one will want to talk to me or anything like that. Does coming out affect your popularity? Also I live in Alabama, so its not exactly the most open minded place.

2. Night Rain

Just tell them you're being serious. And what if they don't believe you? It's not like this is about them. That shouldn't matter. Your orientation shouldn't matter. If you come out to them so that you can talk freely with them, then I guess you can still do so without needing them to believe you're gay (they will eventually anyway). Also proving you're gay is really easy...

Why do you want to come out, especially in high school and at a place like Alabama?

3. Pain

Pain Guest

^ Exactly.

Make sure they know you're serious first, if you plan to come out. I never officially came out at high school, so nothing really happened with my social circle. But I can't tell you what it would be like where you live. Sorry. Try to gauge the environment, and determine whether or not you would be comfortable and safe.

Good luck.

4. BudderMC

I don't think it'll be an issue, so long as you haven't "joked" about being gay before. Then it becomes a bit of a "boy who cried wolf" scenario... and I think we've all learned that lesson as kids :slight_smile:. If they don't believe you at first, you can try telling them that you're being serious, but at a certain point if they don't believe you, you might as well just let it go. They'll figure it out eventually when they see you ogling guys or with a boyfriend :slight_smile:

As for popularity... well, generally it seems that southern US areas aren't the most accepting. I've never been, so you'd have to judge that for yourself. If you think it's an okay idea to come out (read: safe), then if you're comfortable, feel free to do it. I think you'd need to be prepared for the fact that your popularity might take a hit though. Also, be sure you're coming out for yourself, not anyone else, and certainly not to boost your popularity or something (in case that actually happens in some places...).

Good luck to you!

5. jimL

And if you come out at school.....are you prepared for your parents to find out that your gay? How will they react?

6. Chrissouth53

If you plan on getting up on a table at lunch and yelling to the assemble crowd "I'M GAY!", yes it will look like an attention grabbing joke.

But if you pull one or two close friends aside and explain to them you are gay and hope it doesn't affect their friendship with you, I think you will be taken seriously.