1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

really silly question but nevertheless..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stumble along, Aug 7, 2012.

1. stumble along

If you have kids and maybe for some reason they are fighting, now, usually one is going to yell out mommy or daddy or whoever they prefer, what do they say if they have two dads or two moms but want to call a specific parent?

Or if someone tells them to call their dad, I guess they have to ask which one?

Do they say first names or Something?

Tbh I haven't ever seen a same sex couple with oldish (8-12) kids.. in real life.. let alone any gay couple with kids...

2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose it depends on who's at home. If only one daddy or mommy is in attendance, then daddy or mommy will do.

If both parents are there, then both parents will respond OR the one closest to the incident will respond.

I taught a girl who had two mommies - one was the natural mother by donor sperm. The girl addressed both as Mom and just looked in the direction of the one she intended to address.

It seemed to work.:thumbsup:

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have kids, 3 boys to be exact and they are 5, 4 and 9. I'm sure this will be a situation I'll have to face soon enough; it actually never occurred to how my kids would refer to my girlfriend. I guess calling her by her name would be fine.

But if you're referring to kids we'd have together then I'm not sure really, I think 3 boys is enough for me. I kinda have a premade family so, it will most definitely be a different experience which I'm looking forward to.

#3 pinklov3ly, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

From what I have heard, the kids identify each parent with one being dad and the other partner being daddy or something similar. That way they are both dads, but its easy enough to tell the difference.

As far as the school asking to call their dad it might be tricky, but in that instance its all about preparation from the parents. You are going to have to explain to your kid that when someone says that they mean to call either of them and that they can choose whoever they want to call. Also, its best to talk to your school or teacher about how to handle the situation.

But, that's from what I have heard. Haven't met too many gay couples with kids so far.

5. Bree

One of my friends has two moms. One of them, she calls mom, the other she calls -no idea how to spell this- mutz. Apparently it means mom in a different language.