1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on exchange

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pieswitch, Aug 8, 2012.

1. pieswitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everybody

Long time lurker, first time poster.

So my situation is I'm a 21 year old Aussie student about to go on exchange to the US this semester. I have known for a while I'm gay but I am still completely closeted. The main thing holding me back from coming out is the fear that people will treat me differently if I do come out (even though I doubt the majority of people I know would care either way).

So I'm considering coming out while on exchange because it would be easier telling people I've just met as opposed to friends/family here in Oz.

So what do guys think of my plan. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially if you've come out in similar circumstances.

2. Pain

Pain Guest

It could be a good idea, because nobody would have preconceived notions of you, and therefore they wouldn't expect any certain behavior. But it could also be a little lonely; you wouldn't be around people whom you trust, necessarily.

You can't tell how a person is going to react until you meet them and have experiences with them, and you can't know their beliefs until you talk to them about their beliefs. Once you make some trustworthy friends, go for it, I'd say. But use discretion, just don't walk into a crowd and shout "I'M GAY!" without knowing someone supportive first.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome :smilewave

It might be a good idea - you could get "used to being out" while you're in the US and then think of how you're going to handle the situation when you go back home. You could even send "clues" home so it doesn't come as much of a shock when you get back.

The people who really care won't be upset from what you have said, but it reasonable to worry it might change things but my experience has been that it doesn't or perhaps only for a short time while they adjust.

Have fun - you must be really excited! :eusa_danc

4. Bree

It also depends on where in the States you're going...how conservative is the family you're staying with? Maybe check out their opinions first?
    I only say that because it would be pretty awful to be having problems that far away from anywhere you could escape to.

5. pieswitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for replies guys

@quevidalamia I'll keep that in mind, will prob see how the first weeks go to get to.know some people

@bobbgooduk I was thinking of it as an opportunity to get used to being out. Sending clues could be a nice subtle way of letting people know but tbh I would be surprised if people are to find out I'm gay (I've been asked numerous times).

@bree I'm going to Emory (Atlanta), staying in an apartment with other exchange students. I'll wait til I know my roommates well enough before making a decision.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

If you are going to Emory then you are going to be more than fine when it comes to LGBT subjects around campus. The only thing that might be a problem would be your roomates since you don't know from which culture they are coming from, but staff and other students should mostly be completely okay with it.

If you want to give it a shot, then go for it. Your best shot would be to go to the LGBT group on campus first in order to get some sort of support group going. I know it sounds intimidating, but give it a go. It might be just want you are looking for :slight_smile:

And even if you get a horrible time for being gay (very unlikely) its only for a semester, correct? Go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained :slight_smile: