1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice for coming out to best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ems, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ems

ems

Well as it says on the title I'm thinking about coming out to one of my best friends and Is wondering if anybody's got any advice or tips that might help . They would be most appreciated x

2. Lewnatic

Well, it depends on the friend. What are there views? Are you very close? What do you think are the chances that she already knows you're gay? This isn't meant offensively, it's just many friends already at least think it. Even though I'm told that I'm not camp in the slightest, they said they still "knew" before I told them.

3. ems

ems

Um I'm not sure how she will react tbh , she knows I used to be bi , I think . So I hope it won't come as to much of a shock. One other friend I want to tell doesn't know anything .

4. Vesper

Since there's really no telling how anyone will react--even people you are almost positive will be supportive--always steel yourself for negative reactions. Try not to set your expectations too high for anyone, because you don't want to feel extremely disappointed when a person you were expecting to react positively does the opposite. Remember that it's not the end of the world even if it may feel like it after a particularly bad reaction.

I think that being casual and getting straight to the point is generally better than trying to lead them in with a reference or joke, though if the latter approaches will break any tension either you or both of you may have, then by all means use one of them. The approach should be somewhat tailored to the friend's personality, but always remember to act as much "yourself" as possible. After all, your sexuality is an immutable trait; it's just one of many things that makes up you as a unique individual.

5. santaseve

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They will say "they knew" even if they didn't ever think about you and gay in the same sentence except if that sentence said NOT in it. I came out to 3 people all on the same day (I lost 15,000 pounds that day off my back) and they all said "I knew". But if you live in an excepting area, then probably it will be ok. TIP: Don't come out to dem conservatives. I did, and it ruined my 8th grade. He told everyone like it was some sort of "bad" thing, and he was a total asshole about. I had a party (like I do every month) with 3 friends (dry week or sad social life?), and I came out to them. There will be that 105 second AKWARD! Silence that will make you feel clueless and not sure what they're gonna say, but my one of my friends said: "Have you told your parents". And I just told em' FUCK NO! I'd been wanting to tell dem for 3 years. They were all accepting and all. It should be pretty hard to do, and you may be sitting for an hour debating with your brains: NO FUCK YOU! I'M COMING OUT STUPID SON OF A BITCH! NO YOU'RE NOT! But you'll get through it, believe me.