1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mother holds my SIN and Healthcard, Passport, ETC

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Koll, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Koll

I'm 17 and will be 18 in March.

I think it's my choice whether I may hold onto these or not. However, she blatantly refuses to hand these items over.

Would anyone know how I could go about obtaining these things, Legally or Speaking with her?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may be possible for her to have them until you're 18. But since it has you're name on it, I do believe it is possible to get your personal id back to you.

3. Drakey

she is legally required to do so when you turn 18. As soon as you are 18, the law considers you to be a separate entity from your parents and she can't legally hold IDs that don't belong to her. Any court would force her to give them back.

4. BudderMC

Only thing I'm curious about is what exactly you'd need them in your possession for. If it's just so you can hold them, well, I don't know your mother, but I feel like getting into a dispute over "power" (in this context) is probably not the best idea if you don't actually "need" them for a specific purpose.

5. Bree

You can also get them re-issued once you're past, the age of majority, with a complicated procedure for proof of identity if you have no other ID. My foster sister did this, rather than take her unstable bio-mother to court.

6. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Damn my mom did this to me too. Only she made duplicate copies (by saying I lost the originals, even though I hadn't) and still holds onto the copies.

Im 29 and she refuses to hand them over. I have no idea what she wants them for, its so weird. I'm not on speaking terms with her (for other reasons), but still, I have no idea why she wants my id cards.

7. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could always just apply for a replacement SIN card.

It takes $10 and your birth certificate.

8. Chrissouth53

In the US there is a requirement to show that you can legally work in the US, and that means showing a passport or birth certificate and other documents. If you have that requirement in Canada, you could use this as a way of getting your hands on them.

However, think about whether or not this is a fight that really needs to be done right now. If there is no pressing need, let it sit for a while.

BTW - My kids have had a habit of losing birth certificates and their social security cards do despite them being n their 30's, I keep them in my files for when they need them.