1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick tips needed please!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by musikk021, Aug 9, 2012.

1. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey EC! Tomorrow's the last day of my internship, and I just started to freak out like 20 minutes ago that I hadn't thought of what I should do tomorrow. My supervisor invited me and some of our colleagues to a last day lunch for me, which I've been nervous about for weeks, but other than that, I thought I could just wing the rest of the day. Now I'm feeling like I might need to do something.

I feel awkward writing thank you cards and handing it to each person like I'm passing out a handout or something, and I don't want to bring baked goods...what can I do? Is it okay to write the cards and then mail them in the following week? This summer, I've sat with a group of 5 girls during a good portion of the work days, though I've only worked with and done projects for 3 of them. I'd feel rude not giving something to each of them, but I wouldn't know what to say to the 2 that I never worked with (but just sat at a table with). I've barely said anything to anyone unless I was talked to first...I'm super super shy...which makes this attention-filled last day even more nerve-wracking.

Quick tips please?! Last day of internship etiquette rules? :icon_redf Thanks!

#1 musikk021, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I think you could send the cards in a week later, I don't think there'd be anything wrong with that.

You could even just take the three aside that you had worked with the most and thank them. Maybe pull each one aside while everyone is talking, just let them know that you enjoyed your time and thank each one of them.

I can't really think of anything else, I'm also very shy around other people so I can understand how you must be feeling! Just try to go with the flow of things and I'm sure you'll be fine!

3. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your answer! It's practically impossible to talk to any of the girls one on one though. They have their own desks, but since they're really close friends, they choose to sit together around one large rectangular table. So even when I have to ask one of them a question, it feels like I'm giving a presentation to all 5 of them. I can't really pick one of them out and pull them aside; I wouldn't even be comfortable doing that anyway :frowning2:

I think I'll just write cards and send them in next week. I'm still ridiculously nervous about tomorrow though!

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can imagine how you feel, I think sending the letters a week later is a great idea. However, can I ask what are u most nervous about? I have terrible anxiety, so believe me, I know how it feels and it's terrible. I have a difficult time interacting with people as well. It makes me angry because there's no cure just different coping mechanisms. I actually panicked in the grocery store earlier, it's that bad. So, I decided to learn how to react in certain situations because I know what triggers my anxiety.

I turn red, which is so embarrassing. Breathing deep breaths seem to help a lot and fresh air, I couldn't wait to get out of the store earlier. Just be yourself, I've shown people the real me and they respect that. And remember to breathe and try to enjoy yourself :slight_smile:

#4 pinklov3ly, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really sucks having severe anxiety doesn't it? You asked what I'm most nervous about...well, they're having a last day lunch for me tomorrow and I've never eaten with them. At the start of my internship, they invited me a couple times to lunch but I've always turned it down. I was too nervous to go. They're 5 beautiful, outgoing girls, and I'm the shy, awkward, gay one who just doesn't fit in. They're all girly, and I'm over here wearing my button up collared shirts, black jeans, and vans. I look and feel out of place. Then for the leaving part, I'm nervous about the awkward goodbyes. Handshakes seem so...formal and impersonal...I've known them for about 3 months. Handshakes are like a first-time, nice to meet you type of greeting. But I wouldn't just say bye and wave...I just don't know... All I know is I'm nervous :confused::icon_sad::bang:

6. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    CAKE! Cake works every time - everyone loves it as a treat and it's so easy to organize, even if it means a quick call at the baker's.

It's a great ice-breaker because people come to thank you for the cake AND take the opportunity to wish you well etc etc - even the ones who've had little to do with you.

My best advice - a big, creamy, gooey cake, come paper plates and some paper napkins, some plastic forks. You'll have them all "eating out of your hand" :eusa_danc

7. Given To Fly

I'll second that - cake works for me. Unless you are working at Slimming World. That might be bad... :roflmao:

*Leaves in search of cake...*