1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm scared that I won't find anyone that will like me...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Audrey, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Audrey

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok, I've always struggled with my weight and self-confidence and long as I could remember
    and I've always had this huge fear that no matter if someone likes my personality that they wont really like me because I'm not the picture perfect woman.
    I've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend...and I am REALLY awkward Ha! So, I don't even know how to begin.....I recently just acknowledged that I am Bi so now I'm thinking
    "Well, if men don't like me I know women won't."
    I over think a lot so maybe I'm just having a moment...
    But, it does worry me.
    I should think better of myself but as of right now I don't.
    I sound so needy/whiny...sorry :icon_sad:
    Posting on these threads and talking to all the amazingly nice people here help me to get through stuff like this. I literally have no one to talk where I live so this place it my only outlet for my thoughts and worries...

2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Audey :slight_smile:

I'm not sure about how it works with lesbians, but for men, you can find someone who "likes" almost every weight, shape and colour in the world - people who like skinny men, people who like muscles, people who like cubs, and chubs and fatties, old young, grandfathers - everything you can imagine has its admirers.

I have no reason at all to believe that it works any differently for women - perhaps women are even more willing to look past the physical and straight into the personality.

As a general rule for me - nothing is more attractive than laughter and a smile. If you want people to pay attention to you in the nicest way, you have to radiate warmth and sincerity and laughter is one of MY measuring sticks. (*hug*)

3. Audrey

Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually freak out about this because to be honest I feel lonely....
    I was raised to believe that if I wasn't married/in a serious relationship by the age of 20 to just forget it all.... I know that's ridiculous but it sticks with you if you believed it for so long.

It's not like "If I don't get a bf/gf I'm going to die." But, it would be nice to be noticed for once...
    I guess I'm going to have to put my self out there and not be so shy...
    I think the best thing would be if I could have a friend here with me that I could talk to about it.
    Now, don't get me wrong posting on the threads and talking on here really helps me and I like it but, there is just something about talking to someone face to face that really helps..you know?

4. Given To Fly

Sounds like I'm in a similar place. Low self confidence, body-image issues, and quite reserved. I know I can't do much about my looks - I'm not about to pay for a new face or anything, but I can make more of an effort to make my personality shine through (the good parts - I need to keep hiding my plans for world domination!). Hopefully that will be enough for the right person to notice me. And when he does, I think I'll probably have to start learning to breath, walk and talk all over again! :icon_redf

5. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So what's available to you where you live? Are you in school or college, are you working, at home? In a big city, tiny place in the sticks? DO you have access to transport?

6. Audrey

Out Status:
    A few people
    @Given To Fly : It sounds like we are in the exact same boat! Except for the world domination. :laugh: I know if I try to focus on being more outgoing it would help a lot...but its so hard....It is so much easier to be approached than to approach someone!
    @Bobbgooduk : I live in a pretty large city but its smack in the middle of the 'Bible Belt' sadly :dry: I am currently in college and I sure that there are gay/bi/lesbians that go there as well and I would love to talk to them :slight_smile: but I am so shy it scares me to death to talk to people...:icon_sad: But, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try :slight_smile:
    Transportation on the other hand is limited...Hopefully I will have a reliable way of going soon..
    Maybe then it would be easier to meet people :slight_smile:

7. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel intimidated by the idea of signing up for GSA at college, you could see when their next meeting is, lurk outside till they arrive (or leave) and see if you spot someone who looks "sympathetic". You could then speak to them privately if you can find them on campus later on.

The LGBT community is VERY supportive and no-one will find it odd if you need a bit of advice or support. I'm sure if you approach someone they will be more than happy to talk to you.

If you find the idea of approaching a girl different, then guys won't mind if you ask for advice - they might to be able to point you in the right direction of a girl who they think could help with advice.

I really understand your need to talk face-to-face. Sometimes it's important to gauge a person's reactions which you can't do on here.

COme back if you have any other thoughts. :smilewave

8. Derpette

I guess we are in the same boat about this, when I meet someone attractive I immediately think they're so perfect and everything. I just think I'm not good enough for them and that it's why I always back off. When I'm among my friends it might seem that I'm super confident but the opposite is true. I mean, I live in a very small town and I know about only 5-10 girls who like girls that live around here.

I kind of fancy one of them and from other people I know she's nice and everything. But when I meet her from time to time I'm like "oh god she's so close to me, don't look at me" and I look on the ground, avoiding to look at her and wishing she was already gone, instead of just making eye contact and maybe smile at her at least.

I have a very low self confidence, I think that I'm ugly, worthless and not interesting at all all the time, I don't want it to sound like I'm whining, but I just wanted to let you know that I understand what you're going through and you have my (even though it's only virtual) support :slight_smile:

9. Audrey

Out Status:
    A few people
    I never really thought about that...I don't even know if there if there is one :confused: I will definitely check it out if there is one!
    I hope there is! :slight_smile:
    I know exactly how you feel! That is how I feel ALL the time! I know I shouldn't but I do..

Thank you all so much for everything! (&&&)

10. ameliawesome

Confidence is attractive. No matter what your physical characteristics are, you can absolutely present yourself in an attractive way. I honestly don't know what you're feeling and I wish I could effectively explain how to live your life feeling awesome all the time, but if I think of a method I'll surely post it :slight_smile:

Maybe this seems random, but have you ever watched the TV show "what not to wear?" They often have women who lack self-esteem because of their body shapes and the hosts give some good advice about loving your body and dressing to flatter it.

11. Audrey

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes it is! It's something that I'm going to have to work on though..Confidence does not come naturally to me at all!...
    I wish it were that easy but, sadly it's not :/

Yes! I love that show! I have really nice clothes and things that flatter me and show my true personality but, I usually don't wear them cause I don't think it will help but recently I dressed super nice and went to class and everyone was completely shocked and loved it!
    I know now that it does really make a difference and I should try harder! :slight_smile:

Thank you for reminding me about that! (*hug*)

12. JB75

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Audrey,
    I live in Alabama too. There are organizations such as PFLAG in every major city in the state and I would be surprised if your college doesn't have a GSA group or another organization that is active in our area is the Human Rights Campaign Human Rights Campaign. Many colleges have chapters as well. Good luck !!

13. Audrey

Out Status:
    A few people
    @JB75 Thanks! I will have to check and see about these places! :slight_smile:

14. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HI again Audrey!

I second AND third what Amelia says - confidence is attractive, so is laughter and smiling. All three demand different amounts of energy, so start with the easiest. SMILE. It is very sexy and attractive to see a smiling face rather than an expressionless or, worse, frowning face. You don't have to walk around with a manic grin like one of those synchronized swimmers at the Olypics yesterday, but a sparkle in the eyes and a turn to the corner of the lips can make all the difference. ACT - we're all actors to a degree!

Good advice too about the other organizations to contact - and start by smiling there!:slight_smile:

15. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

I sort of worry about the same thing as well! :frowning2: I have always struggled with my weight and self-confidence too so I can understand where you're coming from. It makes me wonder about who I'll end up with later in life.

16. Audrey

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Bobbgooduk!
    You are so right! I need to work on that..
    My friends are always telling me to smile more so I will your advice to heart and try to smile more :grin:
    Ha! I saw some pictures of that!! Man, they can get really crazy with those faces they make! xD

@Marie2008 Hi!
    I wonder about that all the time! It can drive a person crazy if you dwell on it too long ha!
    I guess, if I am meant to be with someone it will work out somehow :slight_smile: But, I've realized I have to worry about me and make myself happy before I can even think about a relationship. Right now I guess you could say I'm in the process of accepting and improving myself :slight_smile:

17. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something for you to practise in front of the mirror, Audrey :roflmao:

Attached Files:

18. blightedsight

OK Audrey - can I call you Aud?
    So, me, I am a fatty fat fat man. I have had serious issues with my weight, and my self confidence.
    I have so many other issues, that, well, I don't want to bore you with.
    Sufficed to say, I recently(a year agoish), felt that I was destined to spend the rest of my life single and alone.
    Well, guess what - I haz a boyfriend.
    He's tall, dark(haired), handsome and I love the goon - and he loves me.
    Point is, there is always someone who will find you attractive. Yes, it may take a while, but trust me, if I can find someone, anyone can.

19. Audrey

Out Status:
    A few people
    @Bobbgooduk I will be sure to do that!! :laugh:

@blightedsight

Sure! lol

I do still feel that way (somewhat) but mostly because I can be very impatient sometimes (bad habit of mine)
    And really it's not just my looks it my personality....which is well, weird to say the least ha!
    But, I know in time when I'm ready to put myself out there that someone will like me I just have to wait...

20. Nobodylikesme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Omg Audrey! People have givin you good advice already. All I will say is if that picture of you on your wall is yoy then you are a very attractive women. Trust me. I don't say this lightly. Many guys like women with meat on there bones! I'm on of them! Oh I
    Sure some women like that too. You just have to retrain your brain some. Hell I'm all but 5"1 alittle pudgy but adorable. I was shy as hell at your age and sometimes still. But I press on. You will be just fine!(&&&)