1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just wanted your opinion

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gazza123, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Right

The thing is I've always suffered with low confidence and low self esteem. Maybe it was doin to bullying in school but I've had it all my life so when your used to something for a long time it well... becomes natural and normal to just think that way AKA the negative thoughts and what not.

So recently I've been thinking about going to down to the local theatre, it's not a massive theatre but does well and getting involved in some way or another. My Problem is getting myself to go because it's a new place full of strangers. They do play readings on certain days and when I e-mailed them to inquire about stuff they replied with "You won't be forced to read or anything" and well there isn't just acting, back stage volunteer work/help out.

M second problem is - I wanna give acting a shot because I think it might just what I need to break the wall I've built around me. Which leads me to my doubts about it such as "I can't act and I'd be rubbish at it because I've had no experience.

What should I do?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should definitely go! If you think it would help, then by all means give it a shot - and anyways it sounds like fun. :slight_smile:

Not having any acting experience might be a little daunting, but if they're not saying that you need experience, then they're not expecting you to have any. And even if you ended up working in back stage areas, that could be fun too - almost every part of theater is a team effort.

3. SFSorrow

Definitely go for it. I work part time at a theatre and everybody's really friendly. If that's what you're interested in persuing then you can build up your confidence while you get settled in and comfortable until you're ready to give acting a shot.

And no doubt I don't have to tell you about the high percentage of gay guys in the theatre :icon_wink

4. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely go!! Even if you only feel like opening the curtains for a show - it gets you out with people and as your confidence grows, you'll feel able to take on more.

Plus, if you have any technical knowledge (lighting, sound etc) or an aptitude to learn, the backstage people become really involved and in demand.

What a great idea! :thumbsup:

5. Pain

Pain Guest

Try it. :slight_smile: I think it would definitely help you in terms of getting to be around people, and self-esteem; someone's bound to be worse than you :lol:
    Even if you don't read, it would be an interesting experience, to say the least! No one will have any pre-conceived notions of you, so you're completely in-control of what people might think of you, based on how you are around them. You'll do fine :slight_smile:

And acting! What a world! I'm no good at it, but I still love doing it! Have you ever told a lie? You've acted :slight_smile: Read with emotion and inflection, and that's all it takes at first, and then you do what people tell you to do :lol:

Good luck!!!!! :grin:
    You go, Glen Coco!

#5 Pain, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
  6. Hiems

I would try it out. I've never been involved in theater, but at my high school, the thespians and stage crew often seemed to have fun. Even if you don't get an acting part, helping backstage is a means of meeting new people.

7. Chrissouth53

I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the actor, but he was well known. He said the reason he loved acting was because it wasn't him in the stories. He could be a bad guy, killer, race car driver, victim, whatever and he had the knowledge that when it was over, he could still be the shy, introverted guy he really was. But the world saw him differently.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    see if they offer any kind of improv class, those are a great way to used to people, because your all making fools of yourself.

9. colorful

Can you try to convince a friend to help out with you?

I really hope that you can get involved in the theater because even though I have only ever had small parts I really feel that it has helped me.

10. BudderMC

DEFINITELY DO IMPROV! I'm an absolutely horrible actor, but we had an improv group at our school perform, and they were so epic I wanted to try it out. So I went, and I was more nervous than I've been in my whole life, and I'm sure I made a total fool of myself (since the people there were all actually really good, I was the only "noob")... but it was tons of fun. And you know what, in retrospect I know I wasn't that great because I stumbled a lot, but nobody said anything. They were all supportive and getting into it.

The other great thing about improv is that it's almost all comedy. While other acting roles can be really serious and notable when you mess up, if you mess up during improv you figure it out as you go and laugh about it the whole way. Plus, the audience is almost always laughing, so since they were laughing before and after you messed up, it's more likely they were laughing because you were funny, not because you messed up (if that made sense).

Improv also teaches you to think on your feet, which is good for handling situations like that. So if something were to come up and you felt awkward or uncomfortable, instead of displaying that you could easily shake it off (hey, maybe even come back with a comeback :wink:). Since you're always doing things, you're too busy to even consider feeling down about messing up.

And the last thing I've got to say: "Why wouldn't you go?"

:slight_smile:

11. heaven

You should go it will help you break that wall and you could get tips from people about acting and working backstage is so fun!

12. Jared

I say go give it a shot, it could be fun. I've done a lot of backstage work for musicals and plays and it was always a blast. Just because you don't think you're good at acting, doesn't mean you won't be good or that you can't learn. Don't worry about it being full of strangers, people involved in theatre stuff, in my experience, tend to be very welcoming and accepting.