1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another "in-love-w/-bestfriend" thread

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MrHojalata98, Aug 12, 2012.

1. MrHojalata98

Have you ever had that one friend that you've told yourself you can't fall for no matter what? Well I have and for me that's my best friend. I've known him for three years and in that time we've been friends of a mutual friend, then I practically bullied all his selfassteem away cause I was a complete asshole back then and somehow I really don't know how we ended up being best friends. He's the guy I go to when I have a problem, the one I tell the nerdy joke to that all my other friends will tease me about, and he's the one guy I CANNOT FALL FOR. He's the only one I can be myself around and one of the few people I can trust, which is why I don't want to ruin our friendship. I know that if I start liking him I'm going to start worrying about very little thing whenever I'm with him. I'll start dressing nicely instead of wearing ratty t-shirts and sweatpants when all we are gonna do is kill zombies. I'm going to stat worrying about every little thing I say and I just don't want to go through that because even though he's not a homophobe he's clearly said that gay people make him uncomfortable. Now normally when I get a crush on a straight guy (which is pretty much every guy I've ever met) I just avoid them for a week or two and from there my little crush is pretty much over. But this isn't just a little crush and it's not with just any other guy it's with my best friend who i see or talk to every day. And I don't know how to get over him, and the worst part is once the thought of there being a possibility that he might like me back popping into my head there really isn't a way to unthink things. So how do you get over someone like that? Please help

2. Mikeyk733

Been there, done that. Was close friends with this guy for a good 6 years already. Was not attracted to him at all, then suddenly, it started to happen. I was totally crazy about it, changed the way I act around him, got jealous whenever he would talk to girls. He started to notice the jealously, and that was before I came out to him. I was convinced that he was into guys, mainly because he had never hooked up with a girl and was generally shy, nor really talked about girls. Big mistake. I eventually told him I was into guys and he said that he's straight, but had no problem with it. Eventually after that I confessed my feelings, and wouldn't accept that he was straight. He got a girlfriend like a month after and they went out for two months. I was totally depressed. I somehow just got over it because we both knew how damaging it was to our friendship. I'm not as close with him as I used to be, but we still hang out, and we have a lot of mutual friends. We just don't talk about the past anymore.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that when you feel the time is right, come out to him (if you haven't yet already). Once he knows you're gay, it's his job to make the next move (if he does at all) and decide what he wants. If he keeps mentioning that he likes girls, then I'd say find ways to get over it. Focus on other things. I started a full time job shortly after my incident happened, and I was more focused on that than on him. I have found other guys to mess around with afterward who reciprocated. Things happen for a reason, man. Hope this helps.