1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing your name

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayJay, Aug 12, 2012.

1. GayJay

So i trans guy asked me today if i had changed my name. I haven't and although i do really want to i didn't think it was possible to do so pre transition. I thought i would be able to do this when i had started taking hormones or whatever.
    So yeah he was like no you can do it when your 16 through deed poll and its free.
    So it got me wanting to do it. Has anyone else done the same thing? What changed? Just like in school/college and stuff or like official things like passports?

2. anyone at anytime can change their name.
    i think it might be free if your parents sign it, but you cant sign it as youre not an adult. if your parents wont sign it then youre a bit stuck till youre 18.
    dont think its free though. (i could be wrong)

think its still a cost.
    i changed my surname when i was 18 and it was like £40 or something so not that expensive.

you have to change your name on everything, your deedpoll wont chnage it for you. you have to do it they just supply your certificate. you have to tell drs, national insurance, passports, driving liscene, banks, the list is endless. but once everything is changed, its no longer a worry. i still havent changed it at my dentist tho, oooops.

3. GayJay

Oh okay guess i am gonna be stuck until i'm 18.
    Oh yeah okay that makes sense now thank you.