1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm out - so why do i feel like i'm not?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bluedoc, Aug 13, 2012.

1. bluedoc

sorry in advance for the rant, ive been very lucky compared to so many in coming out

Back in june i came out to my family and they were great, surprised but great. My sister reassured me that nothing would change between us, my other catholic sister made it clear that shes completely cool with it, my mum had already bullied it out of one of them so was prepared, my dad came up to me later and hugged me - which is as affectionate as he gets

but since then, its never really talked about, its awkward, i dont feel like i can talk about it with them

i dont feel like i can go to my sister and moan about there being no gay girls in my town, i feel like my mum is still hoping its a phase and sometimes they forget im gay all together

my friends joke about it but in a nice way, im closer to the guys than ever. the girls... some of them have gone quiet but we werent that close

but end of the day, despite all the good things, i feel incredibly isolated and lonely, and i have 5 more weeks till i go back to uni. i feel like im in the closet and im suffocating here
    :bang:

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it really hasn't been that long since you came out to them(about 2 months), so they still might be wrapping their heads around it. I'm sure it probably took you a while to accept yourself, I know it did for me(years!). The same applies to family/friends. It just takes time. I'm sure they'll come around eventually. What is it that you really want them to do though? If you wanna talk about gay related things with them, then bring it up and see how it goes. It seems like you are just speculating for the most part what might happen if you were to do something like that.

3. ReasonRules

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you put it into perspective, you are very lucky to have your family support you, even though it may just be uncomfortable for them to talk about. There are many who fear much worse if they come out! It will take a while for them to accept you, of course!

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that coming out is just part of a process - having one conversation doesn't completely change the perspective of everybody involved. It's easy to come out, and then drop the subject, get used to not mentioning it, and find yourself feeling - as you do - basically closeted again. It happened to me too, after I came out, and to several other people on EC.

Awkwardly enough, though, the person most likely to bring it up again is you. Your family and friends might not be hostile about it, they might just not know what to say - do they act normal? Mention in constantly? Talk about dating, or leave it alone? They probably have no idea.

So, if you've had a basically positive reaction so far, then depend on that a little more. Bring something up to them - whatever might be on your mind. You wish you could find someone to date. You hope they'll continue to be so supportive of you. If they're looking for you to set the pace of the conversation, then give it a shot. :slight_smile: