1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental Problems? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Snowy, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Snowy

Snowy Guest

So, one, if this is in the wrong thread, sorry. I wasn't sure and this seemed like the better spot. Secondly, I know that I can't get diagnosed without going to a real psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist, but I just wanted to know if something was wrong with me.

My moods tend to fluctuate very easily. They range far and wide, from being super depressed to being pretty ecstatic. But they change so quickly. Like, I'll be feeling depressed one day, as in, wanting to cut myself again (which I won't), and then just tomorrow I could be either anxious (my middle mood), apathetic, or ecstatic (almost kind of manic).

I guess I'm asking if something's wrong with me? I'm not really sure what else to add, as I'm kind of in a hurry, but if you ask some questions I'll answer them as soon as I can.

#1 Snowy, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  2. blightedsight

Possibly - but I guess you know what any of us will actually say because you've said it yourself.

Go. To. The. Doctor.

No one here is qualified to make that diagnosis based on a post on an internet forum.

3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all I seconded what Blightedsight have said, go to the doctor.

I see you are 15, it could be hormonal imbalances in your system. Part of the puberty stage is the hormonal fluctuations, so that would explain why you would feel one way the one second and then the other the next second. Its actually perfectly normal. Only some cases these fluctuations are really off the charts. I would, if I were you go to your doctor and tell him this. He will basically do some blood test just to see if they can rule out these hormonal fluctuation. If not, then he will recommend you to someone who can help.

These usually last a couple of years, depending from person to person. Like how long have you had these change of moods. Usually these should sort them self out around 17 to 18, sometimes even sooner. Again this depends from person to person. If you are taking some kind of medication, that could also be the cause. Some medicine makes you feel differently as well. So without more information I don't think you'll get better answers than this.

4. shy

shy

Definitely see a doctor about this. He'll be able to advise you about seeing a therapist or whatsoever (personal experience here).

But then still it could be part of hormonal fluctuations. It may be helpful to know (for yourself and/or the doctor) if there are any regularities in this like you feel better when in a certain place or with many/few people around you, sleeping disorders/insomnia (hell, I hate these), eatinghabtis or even reaction of food on your mood.
    As you say, your feelings seem to be in a bit of a chaos right now. It's always difficult to work in a mess so the doctors are always looking for regularities.

Do you have any activities/ways to calm yourself? Make up your mind? This may also help to controll the stresslevel a bit when you are in a bad mood.

(*hug*) I'm sure you'll get it right

5. Mogget

You aren't exhibiting any symptoms that make me say "GO TO A DOCTOR RIGHT NOW!" but I think a visit to yours would be a good idea.

6. i dont mean to sound mean or rude but it could just be a phase, youre in your teens. hormones can do anything to you, even change your moods. i know ive been were you described and it lasted a few months then i was back to normal again :s. weird i know haha! it could be your hormones (like it was mine), but it could be something else. go to the dr if its bothering you though.

7. Snowy

Snowy Guest

Yeah. So oddly enough while I was out shopping with my mom she mentioned it and said that she would bring it up when she went to the doctor. I got kind of ticked off for whatever reason by that, but whatever. Hopefully it's just hormones.