1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Transgender

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Takashi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Takashi

Takashi Guest

Hi. Sorry if my username sounds weeaboo-ish, but it's what I could think up of. I'm a transgender male, meaning I was born female but identify as male on the inside. I haven't come out yet, except for one person, which was my bisexual friend. She didn't mind at all. I am bisexual myself, which no one knows yet. It's really awkward being the B and the T of the LGBT. It almost feels abnormal.

My sexual orientation took over a year of questioning, but finding out I was trans wasn't as hard. I don't really like being female. It's almost like it's not quite me. At the same time, I get a little nervous about transitioning, if it makes any sense. I hate being called a "girl," "lady," "woman," whatever. I don't know. It just doesn't feel right. When I was a little kid, I used to sometimes identify as male on the inside, but those were little imaginary games I'd play in my head. I knew I was female on the outside. Later on in middle school I felt agendered, but that was a phase because I felt left out compared to other females in my class because I didn't get my period until I was 12, when everyone else did when they were 11. (Silly, I know.)

I spend a lot of time wishing to be male. I've given hints to family about feeling that way, and they are very stingy and disapproving. My best friend called it a "phase" from the hints I gave. She is a strong pagan feminist and would scold me if I had gotten male hormones injected into my body, or if later I got reassignment surgery. Yesterday I told my therapist I don't like having breasts very much, but couldn't blurt out the big news because, I kind of wanted to give possible hints so she would figure it out, but she didn't. Even if she did suggest it, I might have beat around the bush a bit. I'm so scared to tell anyone. My mom would probably cry for weeks. Everyone else would be gravely disappointed.

I'm not to focused about coming out bisexual. I'm sure I am. I have been attracted to both sexes very strongly. I'm not gay or straight. Right now I'm thinking about being transgendered.

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2012 at 09:24 PM ----------

I should have mentioned this: I'm like Pinocchio. I just want to be a real boy.

2. Curly

welcome!

Funny you say Pinocchao. I like that!

I am more of a Peter Pan fan myself. "I want always to be a boy, and have fun! "

I don't really have any advice about coming out transgender. I am fully out as a lesbian right now, and people just think that I am just super gay, or super sterotypical appearance, whatever.

I guess a few preceptive people probably can guess, since I go by another more androgenous name even though my facebook has my birth name on it (can't change that yet..). Suprisingly, most people don't really think twice after I explain that "this name just suits me better".

You can feel free to msg me if you ever wanna talk.

3. MusicIsLife

Welcome to EC!

I think for coming out as trans, it's scary and often hard for people who know you to wrap their head around. I'm out to a handful of friends and my mom. My friends are fine with it, my mom...not so much.

IMO I would wait on friends until you start your physical transition--I mean with clothes and binding and packing, not just medically.

For your mom, first I would tell your therapist, don't drop hints, just tell them! They cant tell your parents anything in those sessions, it's 100% confidential. Then I would bring in your mom, sit her down and tell her, while using your therapist to mediate the meeting.

I'd also brace yourself for a LOT of questions. Whenever I bring up the trans thing to my mom she pulls out a lot of "you can't possibly know!" and "how do you know for sure?" "Oh I don't want you taking hormones, it's so permanent!" etc etc. It will take your mom some time to get used to it, and I'd also say have a backup plan if your mom really has a negative reaction and tries to kick you out -- just to be prepared. I'm sure she won't but just to be safe.

Don't rush in to coming out. Do a little research first to explain to people what you intend to do before you do it, like if they have questions about surgery or hormones or whatever.

Good luck!