1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passing Tips? (FTM)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey guys,

So yesterday I got my first binder! Yay!

But I;m sort of an inbetween size between a XXL and an XL. I'm also about 50 lbs overweight, and because of these factors there is still a distinctive curve to my hips and i'm not as flat as i'd like to be--but I think binding tighter would be dangerous for me.

That said, apart from exercising--which I'm doing, what other passing tips might you have?

2. GreenRaven

congrats on the binder! i can't wait to get my first one!

i can't really give much advice as i only just recently came out and all....but as for not being as flat as you'd like to be keep in mind that guys who are overweight (even a little) do have a little bit of moobs, it would look really awkward for a guy to be compleeetely flat in the chest area and then have a belly.

for passing, i'm not really sure XD like i said i'm still new to the whole thing and i don't know what you do already. sorry i can't be more help :/

congrats again on the binder!

3. Curly

Hey congrats!

You can try to hid the hips by layering shirts, but I know that can be really annoying and hot during the summer. I find that button up shirts, esp checkered ish patterns kind of distorts the lines and hids the chesticles pretty good.

I find that wearing your pants a little lower on your hips also helps. Girls have higher hips in porportion to the body than boys.

I don't do this but some people I know do. You can shave your face even if it is peach fuz. Guys have stubble/beard or completely smooth. And apparently it comes back in more stubbly than the soft fuzzies. (I've never tried though)

You can try to get a guyish cut. But some guys have small femmy faces and the short buzzed hair make it even more obviously girly.

Do what is most comfortable to you though. I don't really pass with people I do know becuase I have a high girl voice, and most know my birth name becuase I can't change it for everyone yet. For some reason, people are very careful to make sure they refer to me as female, and think they will offend me if they treat me like a dude. They just think I am a really gay lesbian...

4. MusicIsLife

@ Curly,

I'll try the shirt and pants thing when I have the cash for more clothes. I already have a "guy ish" cut for hair, and stubble on my chin because my blood for some reason already has higher testosterone levels than normal.

I already have a girly face and a high voice so internally i'm worried that i'll never be able to pass prior to taking t... v_v

5. Curly

oh lucky you.

The voice is a problem in public. If people think I am a dude I suddenly realize that they could "find out" at anytime. I try not to talk and then I seem unfriendly, which cannot be further from the truth.

There are voice techniques people use. Or, they will realize that some guys have high voices. oh well.

6. GayJay

Yeah I always have a problem with my voice. People think I'm a guy and there like 'mate' or 'lad' then as soon as I speak there like sorry I meant love. But I think there's different ways of speaking to make your voice sound more deeper, think you can youtube it made a bunch of other trans guys.