1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complicated coming out question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nemo39122, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Nemo39122

So, I identify as bisexual and am very sure of my orientation. However, for quite awhile I've noticed my interest as far as who I want to be in a relationship with is almost 100% women. I do still like men though, just I have much more romantic attraction towards women.

The problem? I'm wanting to come out to my mom. BUT, she is very biphobic. She believes all the classics: that bisexuals can't be monogamous, are perverted, are confused, are just nyphomaniacs or freaks...
    I'm considering coming out to her as gay, or just not labeling it at all. Why? Because I really do want to date girls and I don't want to hide that from her. I don't want to tell her I'm something I'm not, but I'm already doing that by pretending to be straight...
    I've never had the greatest relationship with my mom to say the least, but since I moved out on my own recently things are slowly improving.

Thoughts?

2. MrHojalata98

In my opinion I would tell her the tru that you are bisexual. You sound pretty sure about your sexuality so the next big step would be coming out. But telling her you are gay would still be lying, tell her the whole truth. Because even though you see yourself in a relationship with a woman more often than with a man, you really don't control who you fall in love with. So telling her you are gay then maybe bringing home a guy one day might be a bit confusing for her. And what you said about being biphobic, people usually say those things because they are uneducated about the subject. Maybe telling her you are bisexual will give you a chance to explain to her what being bisexual is really like. I hope everything goes well, good luck with whatever you choose to do :slight_smile: