1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my mom knows...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silvails52, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Silvails52

Last night, I was on Facebook. One of my friends posted a picture. "I tried pot once. Now I’m GAY.” My mom walked over to look at my Facebook page, and I tried to scroll away. I wasn’t in time. “What was that?” “What?” “That gay thing.” My heart sank. I got so nervous so fast. She looked it over and just left. I wondered what she was thinking. I worried she would confront me the next day and ask if I was gay. I fell asleep, very worried.

The next day came, and I woke up late. I went downstairs and wasn’t bothered for a little while. My mom called me over to her laptop. She had found an LGBT forum I had been on before. My heart sank again. She asked if I knew what it was, so I lied. I told her I didn’t know. She then started talking about gays again. About how she still liked the person, but didn’t approve of what they did. She also said that what they did in the bedroom was no one’s business.

She also told me that some people get into this "lifestyle" by experimenting. She went on for a while about gays and kept stressing I could tell her anything. If I had a problem, I could go to her and she would listen and understand. But I seriously doubt she would understand being gay.

I think she knows. Or at least suspects that I’m gay. I think she just wants me to say it first. But, she still talks about girls to me. I don’t know. I think coming out to her will be a bit easier than I thought.

2. rg93

First off, you would have probably gotten away with it, had you just shown her the pot picture from Facebook. :grin: But thats beside the point.

Yes, I totally agree with you, it will be alot easier coming out to her when you are ready. But if you still need time to get your bearings, take it and when you feel like it, accept her offer by talking about it with her when you're ready.

Maybe this wasn't a bad thing? :icon_wink

3. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That heart-sinking feeling? I've felt it maaaaany times before.

Around four years ago I started posting some flamboyant pictures on my facebook, not even thinking that my parents would see them. My mom eventually confronted me and asked something along the lines of

"What's with all those pictures you've been posting?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "I don't know, they're just kinda queer"
    Heart-status: oblivion

I forgot what happened after that. I think I quickly just pushed aside the conversation.

Perhaps a few months later she confronted me again (only she was drunk)
    There was this tv special on about gays and she straight-up asked me if I liked guys. I knew that she may or may not remember in the morning, so I went ahead and told her that I've been experimenting.

For a drunk woman, she took it surprisingly well. These days I think she knows I have a thing for guys, but she seems perfectly okay with it.

There might be a moment in your life where you can no longer hide the truth from her. If she truly loves and cherishes you, she will grow to accept it.

4. Silvails52

Well, I did show her the picture. She looked at it, and the guy who posted it said this: "So THAT'S how it happened." I don't know what she was thinking, though.

And, no, I don't think this was a bad thing. Nerve-wracking, yes. But it might make coming out easier later on.