1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting the dad. And I'm not allowed to say who exactly I am.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MariRawr, Aug 15, 2012.

1. MariRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I have a girlfriend, who I was friends with before I got together with her earlier this month. We were close before so the transition to being in a relationship wasn't really that big. Unexpected, but it didn't change THAT much.

I've visited her family before. Her parents are seperated and I've been to both houses, her dad's and her mom's, though I visited her mom's more often because that's closer to my house and her dad's is about 30 minutes away.

There's something you have to know about her dad to understand why I'm concerned about what's going to happen tomorrow. Her dad is one of the typical homophobic people that point towards their religion to justify their homophobic behavior. He's a christian, just like my girlfriend, and he has shown many times that he won't put up with her being gay. She came out to him and ever since then he's been trying to push her back into the closet and "turn her straight". From what I've heard from her and experienced myself, he's quite a bit of a control freak and tends to try and run EVERY SINGLE PART of her life. It's quite scary and I find it wrong since it's her life and he's trying to make her go against who she is.

Now... tomorrow, I will go to her dad's house and spend the day with her, in which we will be alone in the house. Then afterwards we will have dinner with her father and her youngest sister (who is also homophobic). Her father wants to ask about my sexual orientation, because somehow he is under the impression I am a lesbian, though I am not quite sure how he came to that conclusion. Whether he thought it because of my appearance or because of my behavior, I don't know, but he knows I'm gay. He wants to question me about this and ask if I have a girlfriend. And on top of all of that being quite uncomfortable to talk about with my girlfriend right next to me while I'm supposed to keep it a secret to him that that girl IS my girlfriend, I'm also a terrible liar and unconsciously quite cuddly with my girlfriend.

So... I'm not quite sure if I'm going to be able to pull it off. I don't know if I can lie to his face and tell him I don't have a girlfriend. I also don't know if I can manage to remember not to hold her hand in front of him or anything of the sort. And I'm not sure if I'm ready for yet another speech about how me being gay is wrong.

Any idea how I'm supposed to deal with this?

2. BudderMC

I'm sorry but I've gotta ask: why are you making the effort to go somewhere you don't want to go, that's presumably uncomfortable for your girlfriend as well, where you have no intention of being "her girlfriend" there and have to hide everything you're doing for the whole day?

I feel like the easiest answer is to just not go, if that's even an option.

Otherwise... that's a tricky decision. You could go and be straight, which could lead to him thinking you're lying and stuff. Or maybe he'll believe you and tell your girlfriend that she should be straight like you are.

You could be a lesbian, but not dating her. Well, then you'll get a speech about how wrong it is (again, I don't see why you're going) and all that fun stuff.

Or you could be a lesbian AND be dating her. I feel like all hell might break loose, but I don't know this guy, so I can't really judge that. If it's even remotely physically unsafe to do so, don't do that.

Is your girlfriend planning on maintaining a relationship with this guy?

To me, I think if I were stuck in that situation and all of the options are going to result in crappy reactions from him and making yourself feel bad, I'd pick the one where I can reasonably be myself. I'd go and be gay, and not dating her (because I think that just makes things messy). If he already thinks you're a lesbian, then you probably aren't going to be changing his mind by saying otherwise. If you own it now, it's one less thing you'd ever have to "come out" to him about (the other being that you're dating his daughter).

And for me personally, I wouldn't want to have to sink down to hiding myself just because this douchebag doesn't like who I am.

Good luck though; it sounds like you'll need it (*hug*)

3. MariRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wasn't planning on hiding that I'm gay at all. The issue is that I'm a terrible liar and I don't know if I can tell him I don't have a girlfriend while I'm actually dating his daugther. He might even call me out on it, and then I can't lie because that's what I'm like. I'm doing this for her, not for myself, because I'm not about to hide who I am to anyone, unless it harms someone I care about, like it would probably get her in lots of trouble if I said I'm her girlfriend.

I already agreed to go. I understand she wants me to go because she wants her dad to get to know me a bit so maybe she can tell him I'm her girlfriend in a while. She is not planning on hiding it forever, she wants to have it out too, but she's afraid he will do everything in his power to keep her away from me which includes: Not letting her go outside, pretty much just keeping her in her room all day, not letting me visit, not letting her go back to her mom's for the weekend like she always does, making her switch schools because we're going to be in the same class and a whole lot more of the same stuff.

I don't want to lose her and that's why I'm doing this. I will not back down because this bastard doesn't like me but I also cannot tell him I'm her girlfriend. It's a tricky situation for someone that's a terrible liar and extremely sick of people whining about how me being gay is wrong.

Anyway, thank you... I'll probably just have to bite through this one. Again.

4. BudderMC

Ugh, that just sounds really rough all around.

I don't honestly think I have anything then that's not just "toughing through it"; the decision seems rather set in stone. Would it be worth it to have decided from the beginning (even before you get there) that, for the purposes of these visits, you're going to be dating "some other girl"? I usually wouldn't advocate making up a string of lies like this, but it might actually be easier. I guess it depends on if it's something you're comfortable with. And then, if you ever do get to the point where you two are going to come out as dating to him, then you can just say you "broke up" with the imaginary girl.

Could you also try just heading the conversation in ways that aren't directed towards your sexuality? I mean, talk about work or school or whatever else as much as you can?

Otherwise, again, good luck... still sounds like you're gonna need it. :/

5. MariRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was going to try and avoid the topic already, but from conversations I've heard of between my girlfriend and him, he is very direct and to the point. He doesn't let people avoid a topic, especially if he wants to talk about it.

I've thought about telling him I have a girlfriend but not going into detail. Like... if he asks what she's like just answer him honestly, but never directly tell him it's his daughter, but that's a dangerous road. He might call me out on it being her, so I don't think I can do that. I can't lie and act I have a different girlfriend though. That's not something I can keep up.

Thank you for your advice anyway. I guess this issue is just one of those issues that you can't really solve and just have to stand through for a while.