1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist agreed to approve me for HRT!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by J Snow, Aug 15, 2012.

1. J Snow

Okay, sorry if this post is a little disorganized as I am kind of freaking out inside lol

So, I just got done meeting with my therapist who I've been seeing for months and I told her about how I've been getting really motivated about transition, been doing research, getting trans friends, and found a doctor that specializes in transgender patients, and I started running the idea of starting by her. I always knew she wanted me to transition if it is what I wanted, but I always thought she wanted me to wait until family and school issues got ironed out.

But towards the end of our meeting today she told me if I set up a meeting with the doctor, give her the ability to contact him, and sign a release saying she can discuss our meetings with him, she will give him her recommendation to let me start!

I'm still nervous as all hell. My family and roommates concern me but for once I feel like I have the choice to do what I want. I feel empowered and it feels awesome.

Now its just a matter of how to go about this. I've got to get a health insurance card from my parents and set up these meetings around my family somehow. I was honestly just trying to get her to go for a T-blocker like spiro for now, but now that I have free range I don't know if I can wait.

Anyway, I'm just absolutely ecstatic to have some power over my situation. I'm really happy EC. Just wanted to share, but if anyone has advice about how to handle family/roommates that could be helpful too =P

2. Catkin

That is great, I'm really happy for you.:slight_smile::thumbsup:

3. paul

Congratulations!

4. castle walls

That is fantastic! I'm really happy for you

Congrats!

5. BudderMC

Why are your family and roommates concerned for you?

Regardless, congrats! That's awesome :slight_smile:

6. J Snow

Thanks everyone for the congratulations!

Not concerned for me, I'm concerned about them finding out. I've told my parents about me being gay and they reacted extremely poorly and they just act like it never happened. They don't accept it at all. The idea about coming out to them as transgender is terrifying. I feel like they would do anything in their power to try to stop me, including cutting off any financial support if I chose to do it. So basically, my only option is to try to keep it a secret from them until I'm out of college, which is why I haven't decided if I want to start quite yet, but its still extremely exciting to know I can. I honestly don't know if I'll be able to resist...

As far as my roommates go, I'm just concerned about "putting them through" going through someone that is transitioning. I mean, they knew I was gay when we decided to live together, but we don't really talk about it much. I did tell one of them I wanted to be a girl, but they are pretty typical straight guys. And I know them all from Catholic school so they are a bit biased. They are mostly open minded people, but I'm still afraid of feeling awkward in my own home.

7. Mogget

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome, congrats!!

9. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It's great to hear that your transition is progressing!

I do hope your family and friends will accept you. But if you rely on your parents for financial aid, you probably should wait until you graduate before telling them. It might be possible to start transitioning and starting HRT now if the effects won't become noticeable until after graduation. But that would depend on how long you have until you graduate and the exact effects HRT will have on you.

10. Hot Pink

I'm so happy for you, Snow! Now, you'll join the ranks of the Estrogen Ocean. :grin:

11. GreenRaven

congrats! that is so exciting! i'm really happy for you! i can't wait til i get approved for T, but that's a long ways off cause i'm not even in therapy yet XD

*high fives*

12. J Snow

I'm planning to finish over the summer, so its almost a year away =/

I really want to at least start spiro if nothing else for the time being.

The problem is my mother is a pharmacist and I'm worried about her going through health insurance history =/ The initial rush of excitement is starting to fade and I'm starting to freak out about with stress of trying to figure out how I should go about this.