1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with a job you hate.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SriManayaDasan, Aug 15, 2012.

1. I'm in college and I receive monthly financial aid that, not only pays for my classes, but also gives me a tiny bit of extra spending money. Last year I got a part time job in retail to earn more spending money. At first it was fine, I enjoyed going to work and never had any issues.

Then January 2012 came around.

I was hired as a seasonal worker and was trained as a sales associate. I got about 16 hours of overall training, with maybe less than 1 hour of that being cashier training. The rest was sales floor training. After the holiday season was over, I was hired permanently; but it was as a cashier. I NEVER get non-cashiering shifts anymore, even though that was what I was trained in.

Then there are my supervisors. I have made some mistakes that were 100% my fault and I understand why I got in trouble for them. However, I have a feeling that they think I'm functionally retarded. One example is sometimes hearing them say things like "You don't need to turn on your lane light when requesting change" under their breath. Even though the computer screen says "turn on lane light".

Then there was the time I clocked in and they told me to take lane 6. I did, but there were almost no bags at my lane, so I went to another lane to take a few. Then I heard my supervisor say "No Chris, I said take lane 6" and she said it like a person would scold a two year old. There are other instances, but these are the ones that come to mind.

I don't know; I technically don't NEED this job, but it is nice to earn your own spending money. It's gotten to the point where I'm actively looking for a new job, but no one is hiring. I want to quit, but I don't know how it would reflect on me.

It also doesn't help that I make only $7.31 an hour and get NO benefits (no sick days, no vacation days, health coverage, etc).

2. paul

I know what that is like. Im guessing you worked at a Grocery Store or Department store. I used to work at a grocery store and I absolutely hated it, pay wasnt too great. If you really don't like it and are convinced that you may find a job you enjoy more, turn in your two week notice. It will be hard to get any job if your former manager at the store gave you a poor recommendation.
    Best of Luck,
    Paul

3. shy

shy

Well, since you don't need the job: I would stop it as soon as my helath is weakening due to the job. I remember some job I had to to in a lab and couldn't quit because I needed it to get my immatriculation. Long story short, I ended up at a therapist.

Keep your job as long as you can't find anything else or you get any disorders by it.

4. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Yes, if you don't need it to survive, then two weeks notice and quit.

Minimum wage workers are often bitchy power trippers, I have no idea why, you would think they would want to all help each other out since they are in the same crappy situation together, not drag each other down.

Ive spent time throughout the past 11 years earning the minimum wage or close to it on and off, so I can talk with experience :confused:

If you end up like I was a few years back, picking fights on the street with strangers, getting panic attacks and self harming because of the horrible treatment at work, its time to quit.

5. cscipio

If it were a career or a job that had a unique experience, great opportunity, or something else to offer, I'd say do what you can to keep it. I agree with the other posters though, generally supervisors in retail are simply placed from seniority and not from any genuine signs of leadership or skill. The fact that your retail outlet clearly has a procedure in place they feel important enough to display on your computer screen and your supervisor is instructing you to ignore it shows they have no respect for process themselves.

If you want to leave on a good note, like the others have said, put in your two weeks and just be friendly about it - say that your class load is heavy and you are dedicated to that first - that's not a lie (I hope).

6. Aielar

Have you tried expressing your concerns to your supervisors? It could be that there is just a misunderstanding, or perhaps not enough respectful communication between you and your supervisor. Something like 'Sometimes, I get the impression that you don't respect me as an employee. It could just be my interpretation of our conversations, but I'd appreciate it if we could clear this up'.

If that doesn't get you any positive results, then is there a union or conflict resolution process you can go to to address this problem?

If, after doing these things and getting nowhere with it, I'd suggest giving two weeks notice. There's no point in working a job if you're having to put up with disrespect and being talked down to by your supervisors. Best of luck, I've been there :slight_smile:

7. I'm not going to say the name of the place were I work, but it's a big chain retail store that is non-union. So I wouldn't be able to go to anyone like that.

8. wc1

wc1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you dont like it and dont need it then it all depends on how much you hate it. If it is constantly putting you in a bad mood then get another job or just dont work for a while. I hated my last job (horrible corporate thing) and wish I had changed sooner!
    Its up to you, if you dont need to work then why are you doing it? If you liek having a little extra cash then get a different job - it's not going to look bad on you if you resign (not quit...):lol:

9. I am looking for a new job, but no one is hiring...at least that I can find.

The only reason I'm staying there is because of the fact that the school I transferred to is more expensive than the community college in which I received my Associates degree. I have a monthly financial aid that pays for the semester and gives me a little left over; That's what I did when I was in community college.

Not only is my new school more expensive itself, but it's actually going to merge with a medical college and will likely get more expensive. I calculated that my financial aid will still be able to pay for my semester tuition after the merge next year, but I'll have VERY little to spend on anything else other than school.

In short: new university, higher costs made higher by merging schools, have enough money to pay for classes but nothing much else.

While I don't like this job, it does give me a little extra to where I won't have to dig into my school funds.

10. starbucksshoote

I think you should stick it out unless you can find a better job. To be honest, what you've described doesn't seem intolerable - not necessarily pleasant, but not soul-crushingly awful either. Earning extra money to pay for other things, repay loans, or save for the future are all worthwhile reasons to stay at a mediocre job until you finish university. Plus, when going to apply for a "real" job after you're done university, you can show that you were committed to the job you had taken. Either way, if you decide you want to leave, don't burn bridges on the way out the door - leave on the best terms possible.