1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to look for substantial friend/relationship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by heaveninursmile, Aug 17, 2012.

1. heaveninursmile

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi I'm 20
    I'm an international student at a US college.
    I've been fooling around on the Internet, came across this forum with "gay, lonely and depressed" as keywords, and was struggling for a while about giving it a chance here.

I used to like girls alright long ago, but things have changed in high school. I had a real crush on this 30 something teacher. Funny thing is, I didn't feel anything special from the moment I first saw him. All I did was to focus on his lecture. How it happened I don't know, but I began to find myself go to his office so often to just chat or ask about exercise problems. No, I never got to "find" myself do that because I was too lost, unaware what was happening to me. I got obsessed at some point and eventually lost the relationship that was slowly developing on a friendly level.

It's been years now, and I try not to find myself deep in the memory, but now it's coming back.

After that, I had a crush on a friend. No, I don't want to say "crush" because it sounds real painful like the word is crushing my chest. In fact, it was more of a gradually building fondness so to say; does that still amount to "crush" in its common usage? With this friend, it all began to happen as this friend opened up to me and shared his private issues like girlfriend, self-confidence, introverted-ness, mostly those. I think I'm a deeply empathizing, sensitive person and listen to my friends' concerns more involved than anyone'd ever done for me. For that reason, that friend probably found me often to ask for counsels or a mere outlet. But then again just like with the teacher, I got obsessed with him, and our friendship had to fall apart.

Funny thing is, I felt no special feeling for both of them at first. In fact, wit this friend I almost disparaged him at times when he and I were roommates! He seemed a bit of pretentious type who keeps his emotions hidden and only tries to look nice to others. That idea never exactly left my mind but at that time I had a feeling too strong to care about such a trivia.
    Anyway, also interesting is that I began to feel attached or attracted to each of them for similar reasons - when they looked kinda sensitive and vulnerable. In the case of the teacher, he used to confess, like it's a joke, that he has no friends from school because he was an introvert, but also too good-looking. Also, both of them had a really warm smile, one that somehow also shows a wound deep inside.

So, it seems like I'm gay. But I never get to say it with confidence nor do I want to. Sure one thing that bothers me is this deep-rooted cultural taboo of being gay. But much more than that, saying out loud that I'm gay would mean but a hollow echo. That is, I'd like to know what it means to be in love with a man before I say I'm gay or bi or whatever you'd like to label me with. So my whole story comes down to a single statement that I'd very much want to get a chance to be gay or at least figure out if I'm one or not. Not just getting laid, I mean, but a real intimate kind of relationship what some people out there in the corner of this world still have and are looking for. (I've heard sickening things about gays being so sexually active, only.)

I don't know just how to find or where to look. So this, here, now, is a small step to give it a try for real. But I'm not sure if I can get any real help here because I've already looked up some entries on this kind of forums and those are, in summary,
    1) relationships are not what you look for. just try different social activity groups for gays, not looking for a relationship, but looking for some fun and friends, then the rest will come.
    2) be happy with your single life first before you look for a partner (so that you wouldn't dump your insecurities on him/her.)
    3) try gay bar, club, online matching/dating sites.
    4) try psychotherapy.
    5) I have no advice for you I'm sorry, but I support you!!

In fact, I haven't tried any of those other than 4. All these thoughts about emptiness and loneliness got in the way of my studies, so I tried my luck. But to tell the truth, I think I was expecting to develop some deep friendship with the therapist so I had to quit when he looked too business-like and formal.

Come to think of it, to tell another truth, posting here, I'm also expecting to come across people that I can develop friendship with though online-based just as much as I expect to get some concrete helpful advice. And, to tell yet another truth, and this time being a bit critical and realistic now, I'd like to ask you about how real or true the possible online friendships can turn out? I mean, this psychotherapist kinda argued that even between a psychotherapist like him and a patient like me, though founded on business, can develop a substantial meaningful relationship. I totally dismissed it at least as far as he was concerned.He was nice, yes, but nothing more than that. Maybe I was expecting to hear him share his personal stories to better relate to me, or even, make me relate to him. Or maybe I was expecting to see, just for a moment, that kind of warm smile appear on his face that'd hint a wound hidden deep inside him. In vain though.

So coming back to online friendship, to be honest, well, everyone seems so supportive and encouraging and caring, it looks wonderful and makes me happy because the world seems such a heart warming place unlike the one I see on television news. But, But, would it be same if all of them, all of us, get to know each other more deeply, and in person? Maybe this wouldn't really matter for many people, but for me, I always go after something that is true. for me. And for me only true friendship or relationship is one that stays the same, no even more and more intact, as two get to know each other more and more deeply. Well, I'm getting a bit too serious, but it's my nature, so I hope for kind understanding.

I don't even know myself what kind of point I'm trying to make in this such long post. But I believe depending on each person, this post can have different points, so whatever replies I get, I'd sincerely appreciate. If this is too long and no one'd bother read, well, I'll count on next chance.

#1 heaveninursmile, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll cut to the chase.

1. With some 2 thrown in.

One reason many gay men hook up so much? It's easy. Finding someone to have sex With is as simple as pitting the word out and saying "you wanna?" You don't have to click on any level other than "we're horny, let's do this".

Friendships and relationships are far more complex. They're not available from vending machines or iPhone apps. You have to meet someone. You have to click on some level. You have to nurture the relationship. You have to introduce the sexual component, if this is a sexual relationship. And they have to, at the very least, be willing to go along this path with you. (Ideally, they'll be nurturing it as well.)

These would-be friends and lovers aren't squirreled away, hidden from view, waiting for you to find them. They're everywhere. You just have to go meet them and start the process. The thing is - it's work. And when you get rebuffed - and you probably will - it's easy to get disheartened, and fall into a "nobody wants to be my friend/boyfriend" cycle of despair.

To me, the smart move is to remain open, and put yourself out there. Don't immediately run up to people (metaphorically) and say "will you be my friend?" But chat with some people. Everywhere. Maybe the conversation ends right away. It happens. Try again with someone else. Work your common ground. Talk to your classmates about your classes, and to your dormmates about your dorm. If you join groups at school - like an intramural sport - that gives you more area of common ground, and more people to interact with.

And yes, online friendships are easier. You can immediately join a group that interests you, you can think about what you want to say, you can easily switch to private messaging. And yes, I've made several online friends this way. Do know that these friendships can be fragile. It's easy to end a relationship with a few keystrokes. Online friends can suddenly vanish without warning or explanation. But they can be good sources of interaction.

When it comes to romantic (and perhaps sexual) relationships, the idea is the same. And that means going where the guys-who-are-interested-in-guys are. Here, we call that "gay". :slight_smile: So you may have to bite the bullet and join some gay groups. If you were just looking for something physical, there'd be nothing wrong with saying you were "straight-but-curious". (Actually, it attracts more guys than saying you're gay!) But you may need to be cautious if you're looking for a relationship. Many people will be reluctant to date somebody just to be their "trial run". It'd be like...well, not sure of your nationality, but let's run with that. If I asked you out, and said "I just want to see if I can date a (nationality)", you might find that offputting. :slight_smile: So I wouldn't ask a guy out just to see if you like guys. Not only is it unfair to him, but it may end up being a bad fit, period. In which case, the only thing you proved is "I shouldn't date HIM".

Lex

3. Hazel

I don't feel like I can give you advice on forming relationships or on whether or not you're gay, but I think developing friendships will be good for you whether it's online or offline. It may not find you a relationship, but it will find you some people you can trust and be trusted by which sounds like something that brings you a lot of happiness. These people might also be able to introduce you to LGBT-friendly places or potential dates, because two heads are better than one for locating them.

Online friends are something you do need to be cautious about, but good things can come of it. It's very easy to misread someone through text and not everyone will put any value into an online friendship, but you meet a much wider range of people and often in an environment where they're more comfortable opening up. Online friends do sometimes become offline friends or extremely close, so if it interests you go for it. I have a few very close friends online that I've known for years who've been an amazing help to me, and one of them lived close enough that we were able to hang out offline until he moved away.

4. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi and welcome to EC! I hope that you'll find some consolation and the support you need from this forum.

I'm going to address a couple of your questions:

1) About becoming personal with your therapist - as much as we hope that we can go to a therapist and have them talk to us as though we were friends, that's just not going to happen. Mainly for professionalism reasons, they are not supposed to share information (especially deeply personal ones) about themselves or anybody else. They're paid and they're there to listen to YOU talk and to help you break down the psychology of what you're feeling and thinking. In order for a friendship to take place, there has to be give and take; that being said, if you're the only one talking about themselves, then it's not a friendship. That's the way it's intended to be. The therapist is just as much a doctor as your regular physician. Would you expect to become friends with your physician? No. It's the same principle. It's a doctor-patient relationship that has boundaries and limitations to maintain professionalism and ethicality. I know it's a bit harder to be so matter of fact with a therapist since your doctor-patient relationship is built on talking and sharing, but there's just no way a therapist can be sharing his or her life story with his or her patients. The therapist is there to be an objective ear for you - to listen without judging and to listen and help you understand what you're feeling. I know this isn't real life, but just an example from a tv show: this psychologist had a patient who had a been raped. The psychologist had been raped herself when she was younger, so she told her patient her own rape story to try to make her patient feel as though she's more understood and that she's not alone. That sounds, to us, like a caring, well-intended gesture from the psychologist, but the psychologist ended up getting into huge trouble by the clinic she worked for because of what she did. Revealing personal information to patients is not allowed.

2) About making "true" friends online - I think it can happen...only if you eventually end up meeting and becoming friends in person! I've heard plenty of stories of relationships that began online (and I'm not talking dating websites). I know couples who met through following each other on tumblr and messaging each other, and they eventually met up in person and started dating. In terms of just friends, I think you can find great people to talk to, but I don't really think you can call them "friend" if your relationship is just through a computer screen. For me, I met this older guy on an iPhone game app who I became pen pals (or rather email pals) with. He's 30-something from the Netherlands, a very liberal place, so I became very comfortable talking to him about being gay. For a good 9 months or so, we emailed each other constantly. Even with the time difference, we'd send each other anywhere between 2-4 emails a day, each, and the emails were longggg. I was telling him all about me, and he was sharing stuff about himself. We talked about things that we wouldn't talk to with other people in person, but it was okay because we live on separate continents and it's only an online relationship. Then eventually, over time, maybe he got too busy with life or whatever, but our emails tapered down. He'd send 1 email a day, eventually 1 email a week, then 1 every now and then, until now where I haven't talked to him in a couple years. Despite that, I'm still very thankful for having had him as an email pal. I had nobody to talk to at the time and that was during my darkest days, but I could at least unload some of my feelings on him and have him respond thoughtfully. In the end, there's a bond from a face to face relationship that can't be achieved through text on the web. So I think you can easily find random people to talk to or even to keep in touch with, but until you've been through life together in person and had some trials and tribulations with each other, it's not a friendship per se.

Hope this helped!

5. Night Rain

Wow, that friend of yours sounds like someone I know! He got an obsessive international roommate that he's still trying to ignore now even though they're not roommates anymore. And yes, he's got this heart melting smile. He always looks cheerful, but everyone can see that he hides his feelings inside. I hope we're not talking about the same person here! :lol:

So, onto your questions. I could give you my opinion on whether you are gay or not, but it wouldn't matter as you are the one who needs to find that out and come to terms with it on your own.

Online relationships can be a hit-or-miss game. I genuinely think you could develop a real relationship from online friendship, but it's not going to be easy to achieve, and you have to be careful, and also not expect too much from it. It could be hard for you since you are, er, obsessive, as you stated.

Luck also has a big part in this relationship game. Of course there are many people who look for a real meaningful relationship too. Relationship is not only about sex, and being gay doesn't make it any different. I feel like I'm giving you empty advice, but really, you just haven't met the right person yet.

I have to ask, why do you think you need to be in a relationship now? You want to, yeah, but you can't find one person that suits you. But that's perfectly normal (and fine too). You're 20. There's nothing wrong with not having a relationship now... All I can say is keep looking. You'll find one eventually. Sorry, I know how empty I sound. :frowning2:

6. heaveninursmile

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you Lexington,
    I was actually thinking about online-based friendships that can develop into in-person ones, if that's possible. I do realize it's a bit illusory if we're only interacting online, I wouldn't call that friend nor am I into that type of thing.
    And about "trial run," I think I was being a bit carelessly unclear. I didn't mean I'm interested in working on a relationship with a guy to see if that works out but rather to confirm, you know, that I indeed like A man. Of course even if that might not work out, that would never prove that I'm far from being gay 'cause with someone else you never know.

Thank you Hazel,
    About LGBT friends possibly introducing me to gay community, that I never thought of. I do feel I need to get along with such friends, but where to look for.. like the title shows. I guess first thing I'm gonna do is maybe to talk with a counselor at LGBT society at my college but it's still, well, scary.

Thank you Musikk021,
    I actually felt exactly what you say about professionalism working underneath the psychotherapist when I was sensing too much business-like atmosphere around him, but still I felt frustrated all the same. I actually talked openly about that with him, but he seemed not exactly skillful with dealing with such issue so I had to pass. Too bad for me.
    And about your story, well, thanks for sharing something personal unlike a professional psychotherapist haha. I was actually real astounded at like, wow.. 2-4 emails a day!?!?!?!?!? That's krazzzzy! How did you get to know him at first? if me asking this is alright with you, I mean. What I kinda fancy is having that kind of relationship started and possibly developing to the point of hanging out in person maybe? That's on the edge of illusion I know.. lol

Thank you Night Rain,
    after your reply, I reread my post. And oh.. do I sound that obsessive? Too bad.. I am to the point, yes, but oh well.. I'm actually really sensitive and caring but I kinda ended up getting obsessed with those guys because they could by no means reciprocate my feelings 'cause apparently they are a bit homophobia straights. So if I'm with a right one, maybe I might be alright. But I do thank you for reminding me about my personal flaw, 'cause I'm gonna work on it anyway.

Thank you all again! For spending your precious time, scribbling advice for a random guy like me haha

---

Oh wait.. I suddenly realize I got no answer for the initial question or the title of this post..
    LOL
    where to look..
    you said something about gay community, but do you actually actively look for one when you are not open about being gay..? Also, since I'm not from the States, but I go to a college there, wouldn't it be tougher to get along? My English is fine, but I don't know. I have no idea about how culturally or racially diverse an "average" gay community might be.. I mean, they are open about sexual orientation but that doesn't necessarily force them to be open about everything else too, no?

#6 heaveninursmile, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  7. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup, we exchanged that many emails a day...and each one was as long as or even longer than the text in your original post lol. And considering the time difference between San Francisco and the Netherlands, I was pretty surprised myself too that we were able to keep that up. Anyways, how I met him: I downloaded an app on my iTouch called Distant Shores. It's this virtual beach where you walk around collecting seashells, and for every 5 shells you collect along the shore, you gain one glass bottle. With each glass bottle, you can write a message and throw it out into the sea. As you walk along the beach, you will also find these bottles, which contain messages that other people have written and "thrown out to sea." So I find other people's bottles, and other people in the app will find my bottles on their beach. When you open a bottle, you can either discard it or reply to the message; then, the original sender and you can continue your conversation by writing a message and sending it back out again. It will show up at your "home mailbox." Sounds kinda lame, but it was fun and cute...to me, at least haha. I kind of used this app as my way of releasing some of my emotional burden anonymously.

So, I sent out a bottle asking the question, "Do you think there's someone out there for everyone?" My soon-to-be pen pal found my bottle on his beach. He replied saying, yes, and he asked me why I would ask that and he asked that I be totally honest with him. I told him I was worried because I'm gay and there's a much smaller chance of me finding someone. Once I told him that, we started replying to each other with really long messages, so we eventually exchanged email addresses and emailed each other instead. I was so happy to find someone who was actually totally cool with me being gay and who was glad to talk to me about it. I met several other people on the app who were cool talking to me about it as well, but those conversation exchanges never lasted. With the Netherlands guy, though, he basically helped me out all through my junior year of high school...then as I said before, we lost touch along the way. I'm still glad for what we had though!

It's not out of the question for you to meet someone online and to eventually meet them in person! It's totally possible as long as they live somewhat nearby! Not in a different continent like me and my pen pal haha.