1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is now the right time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fruitbomb, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Fruitbomb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok,so I've known for 1year or so that I'm bisexual, but have never told anyone. But recently, I've been pondering on coming on to someone. I think it'll help me feel better if I tell someone so I have decided I will. BUT WHO?! That's where you guys come in, who should I tell? Parents? A teacher? A friend? (if so is males or female better). Or someone else?

Help!

PS. There's this guy at my school I have a crush on an have hoped he is bi. He seems fine with gay people and has a gay friend ( not me) do I tell him?
    :help:

2. iGay14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A close friend that's a girl is probably best at first and then you can have advice and support from them if there supportive and there's less risk.

3. Fruitbomb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's what I thought but thought I'd get a second opinion. What should I do about the boy
    ?

4. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG I am exactly the same
    For over a year I have known, but only Monday did I tell anyone. I also have a friend at school who says he is straight, but there have been so many routers saying he is gay/bi it's amazing.
    Anyway, I told him I was bi, but I didn't tell him how I felt. Then the next day, I told my counsellor and my mother I am bi. Not sure if my story will help you at all. It has just worked really well for me. Wish you the best of luck.

I almost forgot. Don't tell someone you are unsure about. I was told not to tell one friend until I was ready for them all to know.
    Best wishes
    Annon

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2012 at 11:38 PM ----------

Just to add, I am going to tell the boy how I feel tomorrow. Not sure if anything I have said has been/will be helpful.

5. BudderMC

Not to discourage you people with crushes, but statistically speaking odds are the object of your desires won't be gay/bi like you wish him to be. When we really hope someone like that will be attracted to us, sometimes our judgement can get clouded and we can interpret anything they do as "a sign".

If you want to tell him, go ahead. But I think it's important to keep in mind that at your age, people can be really immature about things like being gay, so if you're not comfortable with that maybe it might be better to wait until the crush passes.

6. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey mate, if your talking to me, I got a counsellor and an amazing family, I have thought this all over and talked about it. I understand what your saying. I don't care if it all goes tits-up. I just want to rid myself of this weight on my shoulders. But Fruitbomb don't do what I am doing and take a risk, if I were thinking 100% straight I wouldn't tell them until I knew I could still be friends with them. BudderMC is right in my case, my judgement is very clouded at the moment. What I think you should do is take sometime to think about the consequences, do you live somewhere you probable wont be accepted, or do you already have gay friends? Just things like that. I hope it all turns out well for you, and better than my coming out will be.

7. BudderMC

^ I was just kind of throwing it out to anyone reading the thread to be honest. I think if you've got some support in place and you're aware of the consequences that may happen and are willing to take that risk, then all the more power to you. In fact, I'm rather envious that you're willing to take the plunge, because I personally am too scared to do so still.

Also, just as it's probably more common to find immature people (about being gay) your age than my age, there are just as many mature people about it too. I'm not trying to generalize the whole group, in case it came across that way.

And whoever told you this is a wise, wise person. You can probably reasonably predict who will and won't keep your secret, but as soon as you share that information with someone else, it's no longer completely under your control.

8. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No sorry mate, just could tell who you were talking about. To be fair I am scared about telling everyone. But I am going to have to at one point.

9. Fruitbomb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wow I've started quite the little debate, I think I'm going to tell a good girl friend first then if it leaks, he'll soon know about it ,if it doesn't I have someone to fall back on! Thanks for all your help.
    :slight_smile:

10. paul

Yeah I would definitely go to a good friend first because they will most likely support you no matter what. If you start out by going to someone who will reject you, then you will be less likely to come out in the future.
    Best of Luck,
    Paul

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would also say to come out to a good friend that you could trust first. Just make sure that they know that you don't want them to tell anybody else. A good friend usually is more likely to support you when you come out.