1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High School Counselor: Should I tell her?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Veneficus, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Veneficus

As you can tell by my age, I am a freshman in high school. We just began a week ago. Slowly through these next couple of weeks, freshman get called out to meet with their counselor. I've been told the meeting is nothing more than just them getting to know you a little better and you have a chance to voice any problems or worries you may be having with anything, but particularly the school itself. Would it be worth it just to come out to her then voicing my worry of being bullied over my sexuality or does it really do me no harm nor good?

I ask this mainly because my school is very strong on anti-bullying and is very accepting of LGB (not sure about transsexual) people. We have a GSA who is actually ran by my religion teacher (yes, we are a Catholic school) and in the handbook harassment based on sexual orientation is punished severely. Because of all of this, I doubt I will even be bullied at all which makes me question being concerned about it.

If anything is unclear to you, I'm happy to answer any questions to better your understating of my situation. Also, I think I should also mention my counselor is also my history teacher, so that may also come into play in one form or another.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see any harm in coming out to her. I think that it would be a good thing because then you would have a trusted adult that you could talk to. It also helps the counselor get to know you better. It sounds like you have a pretty cool school.

3. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The whole freshmen meeting their counselours thing is common, granted for us only a small group of people got called down, including me. I think I had got called down because my eigth grade guidance counselor knew I was bi and just passed that on.

As for telling her, I saw go for it. Mine in eigth grade knew, not sure about m HS counselour though, and when I was somewhat getting bugged, not bullied, about it she helped me stop it.

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I agree with this. It's always good to have allies.

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

You don't have anything to lose by telling her, so I think you definitely should. She isn't going to tell anyone that won't do everything they possibly can to help you, and I can guarantee that you won't be the first person that's ever came out to her either. It'll spark a bit of a relationship between you and like Cat said, if you ever need someone to turn to, you've got her at the very least.