1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiences with GSA/Pride groups at college/university?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Praetor, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Praetor

Hi,
    I'm going back to university in a few weeks, and I realized that it has a pride group. The city and university are both pretty liberal and I don't have to worry about bashing, but I'm still really unsure about my own sexuality tbh, and I'm not comfortable with coming out to any of my friends or family yet (as I don't even know what I would say I am as of now).

Have any of you dealt with such groups before? What are your experiences? Do these type of groups require you to be completely out, or what? Would you say it's worth it to seek it out (I know I'd be extremely nervous to step foot in there)?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's certainly worth it to check them out - and you don't have to be out at all, they'll be happy to have you. Feel free to identify yourself to them as "questioning" too. :slight_smile:

Obviously I don't know the specific people involved, but I would give it a shot. Most lgbt groups on campus tend to be pretty cool, and have some nice people involved. So, nothing to lose.

3. I joined my school's Pride Alliance last semester, and plan to return again this year when it starts up. Now, I go to a community college, so my experience may be a bit different than what you can expect in a large university, but there were almost no people in the club. That's unfortunate, since I really liked the leader and other 3 members that I talked to there.

As for whether people will ask you what you are, I did experience this. The person who asked expressed that it was fine if I wasn't comfortable disclosing though. If you're curious, you may as well give it a chance. Maybe you'll like it, and maybe you won't (in which case you're not obligated to return), but you'll never know until you try.

4. Praetor

Alright, good to know, I'll keep that all in mind this coming school year...