1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non LGBT related... Help though?! D:

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HunterN95, Aug 21, 2012.

1. HunterN95

So, this thursday I have an interview with Payless ShoeSource at the mall... I really need a job and last time I got an interview I failed it and was so humiliated :tears: How do I not be nervous and just work up the strength to go in there and be confident?

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I was in a speech class (I hated it) but they talked about job interviews. Some of the things I remember are; 1) wear something nice but not too dressed. It depends on the job. 2) if they ask you why you quit your last job, don't say anything bad. They'd think you'd say bad things about their company of they fire you. 3) don't sit down till asked & give a firm hand shake. 4) Bring a pen just in case. 5) If you are asked if you know how to do something (for example excel) & you don't know how, don't say no. Say something like you would be willing to learn.

Idk if these would help, I haven't tried myself. ^__^'

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2012 at 01:17 AM ----------

& focus on getting the job not your nervousness.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's one of the things I've always found useful (which I learned long ago from a source I don't even remember.)

Every hiring manager is listening to radio station WII-FM (What's In It -- For Me?). In other words, every word you say is being interpreted by the hiring manager as "How would hiring this guy help me/my business." So, before you go to the interview, think about how you can answer various questions or make statements to show that you can be a strong asset to the manager and his company.

Talk about how you are good at helping and relating to people. How you enjoy helping the customer make the right choice. How you know that every employee is there to help the business succeed and grow.

And in the more personal questions, think about them in the context of what your prospective employer might be looking for. He's wanting to hear that you have honesty, integrity, a good work ethic, that you show up on time, are reliable, are a hard worker.

Of course, you probably don't directly state it in those terms, but you get it across... talk about other work you've done (if you have), or volunteer work, or even how you were involved in team sports or other team-related activities (if you were.) Don't lie, don't exaggerate, but frame everything in the best possible (but honest) light.

Be prepared to describe situations where you've worked hard, worked on a team, helped someone with a difficult situation.

And on a practical note, look the interviewer directly in the eyes (you don't have to do that every second, but if you spend most of your time looking down or off to the side, it's a huge turn-off). Shake his or hand firmly, thank him or her at the beginning and end of the interview for taking the time to interview you, and make it clear that you would really appreciate the opportunity to be given the job to show them how you can contribute.

I hope that helps.

4. ForceAndVerve

Let me just add:

Some of the questions I have been asked in the past have included:

What do you concider good customer service?
    What would you say is your greatest weakness?
    They they may give you a hypothetical situation and ask how you would deal with it such as a difficult customer etc.

One thing that helped me NO END was having a mock interview with someone else. At the time it was a colleague in my old job but it could be anyone, a friend or family member. Just get them to ask the questions and you can practice your answers and body language.

Good luck! We're all rooting for you! :thumbsup:

5. rg93

Also, try to present yourself in a very self-confident way. Look up some of the info on the company so it looks like you prepared yourself.

Also an importent aspect we learned in interview class: when he asks you if you have any more questions, ask some (not many) not-so-obvious questions about the company. Even if you could guess the answer or look it up. Asking a few questions yourself shows that you are genuinley interested in this job. :slight_smile:

And practice answers, gestures and body language by asking a friend or a family member to be the boss or personnel manager who is interviewing you. AND DONT STUTTER! :grin:

You'll do fine. Go get 'em, tiger! :wink: