1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is grad school a good idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mogget, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Mogget

I want to teach, I've wanted to teach for years, and for the past four or five years, my plan has been to graduate with a BS in geology, then go to grad school to get a Master's and PhD so I can teach at the college/university level.

However, for the past few months I've come across several articles that suggest that being a professor is no longer a secure job. Universities (and community colleges-which I'd be happy to teach at) are mostly hiring adjuncts. Adjuncts receive little pay, have no benefits, and have no job security (they're hired for a single semester). A lot of adjuncts have to teach classes at several different schools in the same semester, driving all around a city or state to get to different schools because no single school will hire them to teach enough classes to support themselves.

I don't mind not having much money, but I want some job security, I want to be able to work a single job, and given my mental health I need good health insurance.

I'm beginning to think I'd be better off to go for a teaching certificate after I graduate, and teach high school math and science. It's something I think I'd enjoy doing, although not as much as getting to teach college, and would mean I wouldn't get to do any more original research. Grad school would be fun (stressful, but fun), but it's a significant time investment (I should be able to get most of the costs covered by TAing or RAing), and I'm not sure it's worth it.

What do you guys think?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eeesh. I have read the same kinds of articles, and I think it mostly just depends on the culture of the particular universities you'd be applying to. I think you should just do what you want to do. As long as your field can handle more professors, I don't think it should be a problem. I mean, you'll have to work hard, and it won't be rosy all the time, but I don't think you should just shut the door on that dream. Especially considering you seem less enthusiastic about the alternative.

3. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I think it's still worth pursuing. You said that cost probably won't be an issue, so the worst that can happen if you shoot for a professorship is that you will lose some time that could have been spent gaining teaching experience. Considering the fact that your credentials will make you overqualified for teaching high school, I doubt that will be a huge issue.

The way I see it, there are two possible paths. One, you immediately go to teach high school after graduating (and getting your certificate, of course). There is little possibility of going back to grad school and becoming a professor. Two, you continue on your current path and get a PhD. There are two outcomes -- you could become a professor, or you could end up teaching high school anyways. You just start a few years later but with more knowledge of biology.

If nothing else, having a Master's degree should open up more job opportunities, and good ones, too, should teaching high school not pan out.

#3 Tetraquark, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
  4. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might look into whether the colleges you are considering attending for grad school have programs geared towards teaching part-time at primary or secondary schools during your grad career or immediately following getting your MS or PhD. I think there might be some programs that fast-track grad students into being teachers afterwards. And, as you mentioned, you can TA while you're working on your thesis or dissertation. Grad school can be rough, but I found TAing to be very rewarding not just in teaching/interacting with students, but growing your own professional abilities. I'd say go for it!