1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips On Asking Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Praetor, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Praetor

Today was a pretty big day for me, probably doesn’t seem like that big a deal to most of you, but it’s really made my day and made me want to ask a question (actually two). I may be reading into things way too much (which I sometimes do), but I dunno…

I'm pretty much socially awkward when it comes to anything relationship-wise and my experience in that area is definitely lacking lol, not to mention I still don't really know whether I'm gay or bi and not out at all.

Anyways, basically today I was in a mall just looking around in various stores (something I don't usually do, I'm not really into shopping a lot but I just needed to kill time while waiting for something else). While in one store, I was loitering around looking at stuff, when I caught this guy near the counter about to pay for something. Admittedly he was cute (this is probably the first time I’ve ever admitted a guy was cute to anybody :icon_redf), and so I sort of just glanced at him quickly, when I caught him glancing at me. We literally must have exchanged glances back at each other at least twice more afterwards…

So eventually he paid for his stuff, but instead of immediately leaving, he actually walked right up to me and just asked me something to the effect of “I’ve been looking for a pair of shoes like that, where did you get them?” Instead of actually being able to do more with the situation, however, I just sort of mumbled that I got them online quickly, and he just glanced away and bit his lip, and then just sort of walked away… :eusa_doh:

Long story short, I guess I have 2 questions: first, do you think I’m reading into this too much? It’s just I’ve really never had a situation like that happen before, probably because I don’t really get out too much :\ I’ve also never really thought I was that particularly attractive, but I guess that’s all subjective.
    Second question is, what are your tips for asking someone out or even getting to know them on a relationship-level? Obviously being out helps lol and that will all happen in due time, but right now any other tips would really help, as I am very hopeless in this stuff XD

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Hmm to be honest if I really like a piece someone is wearing I will go up to them ask them where they got it without really meaning anything more than just taking interest in their style so......Either the guy is really stylish and liked your shoes, or he was trying to be flirty, but I think it's safer not to ask a complete stranger out because they might not even be gay since there are tons of stylish straight men out there that I'm sure would ask people where they got their clothes.

3. Ridiculous

When he was glancing at you, if he was looking at your face, not your shoes, then the shoes were just an excuse to talk to you.

4. ForceAndVerve

Well with regards to that guy in the shop, I think Witchcraft somes it up.

As to general flirting and getting into a relationship with someone, I'm going to repeat what I said in another thread, just be warm towards the person. If you have something in common then great, start off with that. Smile at them, laugh at thier jokes, maintain eye contact etc. Subtlety is key early on IMO.

Of couse it depends on the individual your trying to flirt with. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Praetor

Thanks for the tips, as you can tell I am utterly impossible when it comes to this stuff >_>
    And Witchcraft, you may be right, I could be reading into the whole situation too much. I guess at least I have the satisfaction of knowing some random stranger approves of my foot apparel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh and Ridiculous, I'm fairly certain his eyes weren't looking at my feet, because they weren't facing downwards, at least I don't think they were...?

6. Lad123

You're going to hate me for saying this but i think he was hitting on you ^^ The whole looking at each other several times is a good indicator that he was attracted to you. When he glanced away and bit his lip I think he was gutted that you werent interested in him.

7. Praetor

There you go getting my hopes up! ^_^

If he was interested in me, then that really sucks, since I was sorta into him :icon_redf ... he did sort of seem a bit rushed, like he was nervous or anxious maybe?

If that were the case, then I am really mad at myself for not doing more >_> Hence why I asked for future tips lol

8. heaveninursmile

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    go grab him now!!!