1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would going to a GSA meeting make it obvious that I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vhrebels, Aug 23, 2012.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Hi everyone! Ok, so my school is really conservative, and now, some students might be forming an unofficial gay straight alliance. I want to show up and see what it's like, but everyone in my grade really likes me, and most people would hate me if they knew that I am gay. Just about all of the people I hang out with after school are homophobic. So, would going to the meeting make people know that I'm gay? I don't really want everyone at my school to know, because if everyone knew, then people would avoid me and stuff.

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. Going to a GSA meeting would not make it obvious. One of my friends in my dorm went to support her roommate. If you wanna go, then go. You can't let what people think about you affect your decisions.

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Typically it is gay people that attend, but "straight" is part of the name and it's about gays and straights coming together. If it comes down to it with your friends, you could just say you are supportive of gay people. Secondly, I'd find different people to hang out with, but that's just my opinion.

4. Ianthe

If they have that much of a problem with it, they might have a problem with you going to the GSA, even if they don't think you're gay.

But the GSA kids will be better friends for you. You should definitely go. Do you really want to be friends with people who hate a part of who you are, instead of people who wouldn't? If there is a GSA, you have the opportunity to support other kids like you. Just by attending, you can make the statement that being gay is acceptable, that there isn't anything wrong with gay people. And, you can make friends with other people who feel the same way. Friendships with people that you CAN tell the truth about yourself.

To be honest, you may underestimate at least some of your friends. It's unlikely that they would all reject you for being gay--they have individual points of view, and will not all respond in the same exact way. But it's a good idea to make friends with people you know will be accepting.

If you don't actually go to the GSA, try to make friends with some of the people who do, anyway. It's really important that you have friends that will accept you for who you really are.