1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been Blackmailed Into Saying "I will change" to Parents...hope I did the right thing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BornAnew, Aug 24, 2012.

1. BornAnew

So what I wanted to avoid so hard happened finally. My parents successfully managed to get me to promise to them that I will change.

As a quick sum up my mum, dad & grandma are completely against homosexuality. I'm (south asian -- Indian) of origin so the entire issue carries a massive stigma over here & they are simply to rigid in their views to listen to anything. Came out to Mum round 4 months ago, then she told grandma a few months later. Finally she told dad around 2 weeks ago. My parents shifted from UK to India permanently around a year ago now.

The events which led up to this include two psychiatrists who I am very angry at right now. One of them is practicing in India...my dad called her and told her about me (calling me his friends son of course). She said:

The boy is stupid to say he is gay at 20, he can definitely change & adapt to homosexuality, he just needs to change his mindset. If he is saying it might be genetic do karyotyping for him to prove to him it's not.

As you can assume I was angered by what this psychiatrist said so I told my parents that I don't trust what an Indian psychiatrist says due to the sensitivity of the issue at hand in regards to the country. They then decided to call up their friend in the UK who is a consultant psychiatrist. He said the SAME things...which is hilarious as it goes right against what the Royal College of Psychiatry (kind of the governing body for psychiatrists in UK) say.

So basically the psychiatrists poisoned their minds and made them believe I can change. They weren't ready to listen to anything. With me being insistent on saying I will not & need not change things got a bit out of hand.

A few days ago my mum said that she & dad have made a final decision. If I'm not ready to change they will completely break ties with me..emotional & financial. She'd guaranteed I would have financial support before this. So this was a big shock to me.

Even including the student loan the government in the UK gives us it's still not enough for accommodation & food costs combined. Because I'm in the high income families bracket I get the least amount of loan too & to top things off I'm living in one of the most student expensive cities in UK (our rents £105 per week!! haha). And of course as I was always guaranteed financial security by parents, being the lazy bum that I am I never worked..so have no money of my own at all. :dry:

I explained this to her & she said my dad talked to his cousin and they would be ready to shift me to an Indian medical school which my parents would be okay to pay for as it's cheap...but again I wouldn't be allowed to stay at home. She also said I shouldn't tell the UK government that my family is not helping me financially as they would "lie" and say they are willing to help...so there was no legal way of me getting a larger loan...or so she made me believe. I didn't say anything to her at that moment but of course in my mind I was screaming. There is no way I was going to leave the UK & live in India....that has always been home for me and will always be...all my friends are there, I've dreamt of working in the NHS eventually & yeah there's too many reasons.

There was only one option left for me...I had to give in...I told mum & dad that I will change...they are convinced I WILL as the psychiatrists said so too now. But of course it's a lie...let's call it a white lie. I didn't want to give her or dad false hope as I feel that's borderline cruelty...but the threat she made is borderline cruelty as well. I have done financial calculations & I reckon if I find part time work over university terms & SAVE the student loan I get (which means no more expensive food shopping that I loved to do :eek:slight_smile: then I'll be financially "secure" by my 4th year....then this lie can be ended swiftly.

Of course my mum & dad are ecstatic now. She keeps acting like I've saved the whole family from carrying out group suicide or something. She keeps asking me if I'm lying and says if I am she'll die etc etc which make it harder to keep up the lie. I'm just sick of all this selfishness & blackmail from her tbh.

So that's the plan for now. It's good that my friends are really supportive...one of them even let me have a fake convo with her to convince mum I was definitely trying to change. One of my friends sisters a lawyer so I'm gonna talk to her and get some legal advice too. Only 3 more weeks till I'm back in the UK, then I'll feel much safer and calm about everything.

I just hope I did the right thing...I still feel so guilty & hate myself a bit for lying to them as I'm going against myself & giving them false hope...but the consequences of not doing so would have been unbearable.

#1 BornAnew, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. Chrissouth53

Re: Been Blackmailed Into Saying "I will change" to Parents...hope I did the right th

This group is filled with people who "lie"... closeted people who for whatever reason can't/won't/shouldn't come out to others regarding their sexuality.

My first reaction is that you should be true to yourself, however that is only when everyone plays by the "rules". I think your parents aren't playing by the rules and it just makes it harder for you.

First, I'd talk to the people at the university and see whether the dropping of support by your parents would qualify you for financial aid.

Second, I'd talk to your own psychiatrist/psychologist and see what they say.

Third, maybe you should consider calling their bluff... telling them that you're sory that they feel they need to cut the emotional/financial ties with you but you will always love them and hope they visit you in the UK. Just remember that they may call your bluff, too.

But in the end, you have to decide whether the "white lie" you told your parents is something you can live with.

3. rg93

Re: Been Blackmailed Into Saying "I will change" to Parents...hope I did the right th

BornAnew,

I remember your last thread about when you came out to your mom and with that I STRONGLY recommend not calling their bluff just because there is way too much to lose and I kinda belive that she will pull it through :frowning2:.
    But on the bright side, you only have 3 more weeks, you can do this! (*hug*)

Also, as Chrissouth has already said, I don't really recommend using lies, especially not to parents. But special circumstances call for special actions. And, as I said before, because your family's education on the subject homosexuality is just awful, I do believe that going for the white lie was the correct choice. Not because living your life would be a bit harder if you didn't, but because it may have been nearly impossible to do what you really wanted. And that I turly respect! Good work.

Try not to feel too bad about it, it's only self-defense of some sort. And yes, getting legal advice on the financial subject is a really good idea. I also like the fact that your friends are so supportive! :wink: More power to them. Besides, if you're going to live in the UK, there won't really be a real reason or need for them to know, wouldn't there?

Keep us posted! (&&&)

#3 rg93, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  4. NordicSpirit

Hard as this may be, I think you're best off letting them think your trying to change until you can make it on your own. At the end of the day, your education (and lying to your parents) is a means to an end-the end being the rest of your life. It sounds like you have a great support network of friends which should help you.

5. Ianthe

Are you sure the psychiatrists told your parents that? Is it possible that's just what they are saying they told them? I'm sure it's what your parents believe. But I think they may be just attributing it to psychiatrists falsely, especially the one in the UK. Did you talk to either of them yourself?

It's just that they both seem to have said something about it having to do with you being 20. Like if you were a different age, it would be different. That is not, as far as I know, a particularly common theory. Most people either don't believe it's a choice at all, or else think it always is, no matter how old you are. "You're too young to know" is more of a parental resistance tactic, rather than any kind of actual theory about sexuality, especially when the "too young" is twenty. Also, the karyotyping thing doesn't seem like something that would come from two independent sources. They have neither isolated a gene that causes homosexuality, nor ruled out genetic causes--karyotyping can't tell you anything. Basically, their story strikes me as BS.

If you know their UK psychiatrist friend, or at least their name, you should look into it. If you don't, tell you parents that you need "help" with your decision not to be gay any more, and to give you the name of the psychiatrist, since all the UK professionals you've talked to about it don't seem to agree (the fools). Call yourself and get the psychiatrist to confirm what they are saying. Or confirm that they are lying. If they refuse to give you the name of the psychiatrist, they are lying.

Your mother's threats are not borderline cruelty; they are actual cruelty. I'm sure she thinks she's doing what's best for you. But still.

It may not be best to confront them right away. Let them go on believing that you are "changing" or trying to. Get through school. But it will be good to have it confirmed that they are lying for when you do want to come out again.

Also, if they are lying, why shouldn't you? It's possible that you won't feel as guilty about lying if you can confirm that they are.

6. rg93

That is the most deceitful and clever, but a bit mean idea. I like it! It would be a HUGE advantage if you knew that your parents lying. You could call them out on it when you come out again. :wink:

You should give it a shot!

7. Aldrick

I just want to echo absolutely everything Ianthe wrote.

I don't really have anything to add; I just wanted to voice my support, and to encourage you to hang in there. (*hug*)

You seem to be making all the right choices all on your own. You're getting legal advice, you're taking steps to defend yourself; there really isn't any more you can do at this point.

8. BornAnew

@Chrissouth53

Yeah the first thing when I do when I get back is gonna involve talking to my mentor at university about possible bursaries. I know there are some available for emergency situations. I came out the mentor last term when things were getting difficult with mum so she already knows quite a bit of what was happening.

I'm a bit weary of calling their bluff as my parents don't usually bluff about things lol.

Yeah I'd like to see my own psychiatrist later on to see what they say.

Thanks for the support!

@rg93

Thanks for the support :slight_smile: . Yeah I'm trying to think of it as self defence as the consequences would've been worse than death for me lol. Yeah my friends have been incredibly supportive throughout all this, I think it's made it somewhat more easier to get through. Yeah as I'll live in the UK my parents won't know what I do there for now...so I can carry on being out at uni and they'll never know. Facebook is an issue but they aren't my friends on it so it's fine....but my cousins are on fb so I can't be out on it.

@Helen XX

Thanks :slight_smile: I'm more confident in the plan I've made now!

@Ianthe

I wouldn't be surprised if the Indian psychiatrist said that at all. I was shocked the UK one said that though, but then again the UK one is actually my mum & dads friend all the way back from med school. As he is Indian I don't think it's completely out of the realms of possibility that he's letting personal opinions get in the way of professional opinions...especially as my dad talked to him. Those are all my assumptions though. It is interesting to note that a few years ago I read an article saying even in the UK there are still a good number of psychiatrists who don't know how to deal with homosexuality...so some offer treatment/treat it a bit like a disease.

I could get the number of their friend & talk to him but it would be pretty risky as he knows me and my dad talked to him about a "friends son". I guess I could phone him and talk anonymously...it's not like my voice is extremely recognisable.

I have thought that maybe they have been lying about what the psychiatrists said. I think like you said a solution to that might be saying I "need help" and going to my own local psychiatrist and hopefully they'll have a different opinion (well they should do) so that I can tell parents about that. I'll probably do that closer to "coming out" again.

Throughout this lie the one thing I wanna avoid is saying "I've changed"...as long as I keep it at "trying to change" the guilt should be manageable. And more and more I'm starting to realise what a big injustice they were gonna do against me so the guilt is slowly getting less :slight_smile:

@Aldrick

Thanks for the support :slight_smile:

9. IllusiveRannoch

hey (*hug*). you did the smart thing. don't be ashamed of yourself. (&&&) truth and illusion can often disguise each other. I don't know if you know of a British comedian named Ricky Gervais, but he directed a movie in 2009 called "The Invention Of Lying". i highly recommend it. it might make you feel better about it.

10. rg93

I don't know about you guys, but I'm certainly going to watch that when I find the time! Thanks for sharing this, IllusiveRannoch! :wink:

11. RainDreamer

I believe it is time to make a plan B.

To this point, the only real leverage your parents have over you is the financial support. Which is why you should start looking for a job - a parttime job at first, but try to get to know people where you work to ensure you have a fulltime job in the worst possible case that your parent cuts off all financial support and you have to quit school (hope this won't happen >.<). Make more friends in the UK, in case you need to borrow money from someone, any amount will help if you are truly stuck for cash. And I would reccomend you to finish school as fast as possible and try to get UK citizenship, which will protects you in case your parents wants to force you to go back to India against your will.

I hate it when it has to be like this, but now your best bet is go under cover and do things behind their back to ensure your own well being. Do not let them know about your job if possible, or they might suspect you are trying to seperate from them. Put on a mask, if you must, no matter how painful it might be to do so.

12. BornAnew

Thanks :slight_smile:. And Cool i'll definitely check out that movie...it sounds really interesting from the name alone! And ricky gervais is awesome!

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:
    I've already started looking for a part time job...which i could hopefully carry on with in the summer.
    Luckily i am a british citizen so they can't force me to come back to india...the only real issue is finances...hypothetically i would have to go back if i didn't have a single penny but legally i'm pretty sure there must be something the government could do as it just doesn't seem a right a citizen should have to leave their coutry due to that. And our government has a very good benefits programme i believe...i'm gonna try to get all the legal advice as soon as i get back!