1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yuri, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Yuri

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I am currently in a new relationship that has truly helped me with my acceptance of who I am, but I am having a few problem. It is nothing serious and we aren't having problems, but as I am relatively new to actually dating being I've never had a bf or gf I don't know how to act. Anyways, after that rant of a sort my question is should I tell people such as my friends that I have a gf? She gave me permission too and shes completely open to all of her friends so I feel bad that I'm not. I feel like its not that big of a deal, but I think she wants me to be more out. I made her the screensaver of my phone and changed my FB status to "in a relationship" to make it easier and put myself in a situation where it wasn't awkward to tell. Just give me some tips please.

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it all depends on if that is something that you are ready to do. Don't let her push you into doing it if you aren't comfortable. I can also see where she is coming from wanting you to make the relationship more official, but you need to do it on your own terms.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lance is right - you shouldn't let yourself feel pressured to be out (though not saying that's necessarily what your girlfriend is doing).

If she's out to all of her friends and such, have you tried spending time around them? It might be really helpful just to get used to the idea of being out around other people - sometimes even if you think others will be accepting, the idea of changing your life that way can still be a little daunting.

Also, if what you're comfortable with at this point is putting yourself "in a relationship" on Facebook and making a picture of your girlfriend the background on your phone, then be proud of those steps - I think it sounds like a pretty legitimate start to putting yourself out there.