1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Coming Up.. :S

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Custard, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Custard

So, school starts on September 4th for me. Whoopie! 8D No, seriously. I'm honestly excited about it. My 8th grade year SHOULD be the best yet. 6th was complete and utter hell. I won't sugar coat it. It was legit hell. 7th, I was basically the only student who DIDN'T drink, smoke or wear pounds of make up... :/

Anyway. I have.. an.. 'issue', coming up that I feel will be a problem. My little brother, the youngest in the family, is also starting 6th grade this year. In my middle school, the grades go from 6th to 8th, then your in high school starting in 9th. So. A couple people, around 5-6 know that I'm gay. I'm just worried that it may have spread during the Summer, and if it hasn't, that it will spread when school starts again. You see, if it somehow spreads to my little brother, and he comes home while my older brother and mom are around, saying 'I heard you were gay..' ...Wtf am I suppose to do? DX I want to come out to my family. I don't want my little brother to find out by some drama hungry fool who is desperate to ruin anything he or she can. XD

So what I'm asking is.. What can I do to prevent this? I'm planning on coming out in December, around the middle or later half of the month, perhaps even around New Years. Yeah.. I did originally plan to come out on the 4th of July to my fam, but it never happened..

Thanks for any and all help you can give. <3 Sorry if I was confusing. I tend to ramble and be weird sometimes.

Thankies.♥♥

2. Hazel

I think it might be a good idea to sit your little brother down and talk to him, but ask him not to tell anyone else in the family because you need to do it in your own time. If you're not sure he can keep his mouth shut or what he's going to hear, it might be better for him to hear it from you than from other people - especially if it's circulated a little bit and the story's gotten mixed up. I remember school. x_x

This is just off the top of my head, though. Other posters might have been in this situation before or have more insight. It's something to figure into the situation at least.

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple questions: first, considering the 5-6 people who know you're gay, what do you think the likelihood of the news actually spreading is? Did you come out to all of them as people you trust, or did they find out on their own? If you think you need to, could you talk to these people and explain the situation - that you don't want to be fully out at school because of the cross-pollination possibility?

Also, the other possibility that comes to mind is that you could just come out to your family sooner rather than later. I only mention it because it sounds like the date is a little flexible (having been moved from July to December already). If your family knows - and it sounds like you plan on them knowing anyway - then it seems like the danger disappears. Don't mean to pressure you though - if you're not ready, then you're not ready.

4. Custard

@Hazel~ That's a good idea, but I'd want to come out to family at once, with them all around me together. :3

@Gravity~ Well.. One friend guessed it, one asked, three know because I told them, and one knew because two of the people I told, told that person. o-o So, it's only technically been spread to one person. I bet I could talk to those friends, and let them know not to tell my brother, and to not tell people who I don't trust. To keep it safe for the time being. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the help, guys. <3