1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kitty, Aug 24, 2012.

1. kitty

I am a Roman Catholic, not my parents are Roman Catholics or I was raised a Roman Catholic. I as an adult decided to enter into the faith and become a Roman Catholic. I love God and my faith and I don't doubt either of them. I only have one tiny problem. I can't kiss a man without wanting to hurl, I mean literally I am clenching my muscles to try and stop the gagging and the vomit from coming up (It's just wrong to vomit in such proximity to another person reasons regardless). Every time I think of touching a man in that way or being touched by one I have the same issue. A few months ago I meet a girl and one thing lead to anther and we ended up kissing, and what do you know no problem. This isn't the first time I have had problems in this area, I can remember thinking thoughts about women as far back as the first grade. I guess my questions is, is there a possibility that I might be a lesbian and if I am how does being a Catholic and a Lesbian go together?

Also if there is anyone who has chosen celibacy for religious reasons I would love to hear about it. I know that this is the Roman Catholic ideal, but I always wondered how practical/sane an option it is to live celibate and outside the churches communities and support for such a life style (priesthood/nunnery)

#1 kitty, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. Kat kanu

I think it could work im Christian and lesbian you know people at the church look at me different but im happy so they can deal with it if God wants you to be strait he would make you that way

3. Epipleptic

Hi there. I identify as Catholic. There are some issues, to say the least, within the Catholic Church when it comes to homosexuality. What has helped me is studying theology, though I did that while at a Catholic university, I don't know how it would work outside that environment. Believe it or not, it actually helped me towards my self-acceptance. I think in part because the approach taken was one that sought to reconcile faith with sexuality, not sexuality to faith. Some more orthodox Catholics may have a problem with that. However, it works for me. Some scholars I have read were Dale Martin, who tackles the interpretation of Scripture when it comes to sexual morality. We also read some Sazlman and Lawler, who turn some problematic passages in Paul on their head.

Other than that, you may want to check out Dignity, an organization for LGBT Catholics.