1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate my parents...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vhrebels, Aug 24, 2012.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Ok, so my parents are die hard conservative christians that feel like they have to push their political views on me. They are constantly talking about how they think that gay marriage is wrong, (even though my mom's stepbrother might be gay). It really is a drag being around them because I'm forced to stay in the closet because I'm worried about how they would respond if they knew. They would be so disappointed and depressed. I would never want to make them feel that way, and I care way too much about what they think of me. I'm kind of worried that my dad thinks I'm feminine for a guy because I wanted to get these cool retro boot cut jeans, and my dad said that he thought that it made me look "like a fag" as he would say, ( I'm sorry if that offended anyone, but thats exactly what he said, and it made me feel terrible about myself.) I really never want to see my family again.

Sorry if this post has been long, but how can I not get really depressed when my parents are being homophobic? They really bring me down and I'm usually a really optimistic, happy person. What should I do?

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1) At my school, FAG is an acronym for Fabulous And Gay
    2) Haha - I laugh because your parents are die-hard Christian **no offense to others**. If I may ask, what denomination? That may shed some light. In any case, if they bring up the bible defense just rebuttal with "The Bible cannot be taken literally." and provide some verses backing up your claim. If you need verses backing up your claim, read the book of Leviticus (I think it is). I hate to religion into my reply, but that is how I feel when people try to use religion to back their "values."

#2 Randy, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

My family is southern baptist. I've gotten in a few arguments with my dad about how jesus never talked about homosexuality and that the old testament laws only applied to the Israelites like 10 billion years ago, and he questioned my faith in God. They are soooo close minded...

4. Gen

Gen

I learned at a very young age to never go jean shopping with your parents lol. I couldnt even get tapered jeans getting without sideways look. So I know what you mean there. ( Though for future, its always a good idea to try on the cloths without them there. They'll never know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

But anyway, I'm sorry they are acting that way :frowning2:. I would like to tell you that you coming out to them would definitely change their opinion, but its not often that easy. What I will remind you is that there is nothing wrong with you. They were the ones who were led astray, mostly likely by their own parents. You should not be angry at them for their beliefs, because although we can all form our own opinions, it is easy to hold negative assumptions to certain situations if seemingly everyone around us believes the same way. However, even if you cant fault them, you shouldnt fault yourself.

You have to trust in yourself that you are doing the right thing by being yourself. Even if everything goes down hill and they wont be there for you, you still have to be able to support yourself. (*hug*)

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Southern Baptists explains it 100 percent. They do not realize that the bible should be taken lightly with a grain of salt as a guide to live by instead of literally. If it was truly to be taken literally, the world would be in so much chaos!